1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Connectivity Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueArcher, Jul 12, 2010.

1. BlueArcher

BlueArcher New Member

Hi

I am really having getting connected to anyone!

I and my friend in the UK have Public Internet addresses - mine is 75.xxx.xxx.xxx and his is 86.xxx.xxx.xxx. He can ping me but I cannot ping him. If we try and connect within d20Pro, the connection just times out (going either way).

My network is a bit odd - I have a Time Warner Cable internet connection thru their Router (which is locked from me). Because of limitations in their service, my main computer connects through a Network over Power system to an private router (with no security) that then connects to the TWC router. I'm running under Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

My friend's system is standard - his ISP is BT Yahoo - and his router is connected straight to his computer. His machine is running Vista Home Premium 32bit.

We have made sure that we are both running v2.1.2 of d20Pro...

Can one of the network gurus please help??? :?

This is getting very annoying as I have a group of friends around the world that are waiting to get this environment up so we can all game together again... :cry:

Thanks

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I would recommend "Brashfink's Port Forwarding Guide" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=120 (The post just above this one) as a place to start.

3. BlueArcher

BlueArcher New Member

Hi - have already looked at this - however, his guide is only for those people without a Public IP... and our are both Public...

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

When you are in Judge mode and you use the what is my IP feature does it return the same IP address as you know you have or something different?

5. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I would imagine that both of you are utilizing basic precautions (Firewall / Anti-Virus).

From the "Port Forwarding Guide":

"If it doesn't work and you have a Public IP...
    ...either your AV/Security/Firewall software is doing something to prevent the data from leaving your computer...
    ...or whatever Internet provider you are using is doing something goofy with the data before it leaves their network (usually due to classifying data for traffic shaping to keep torrents from commandeering all the available bandwidth) and it is getting dropped or misclassified...
    ...or you have a Virus (congrats if it is the last one!)"

It is perhaps easiest (although not without risk) for the two of you to work together, and coordinate the disabling of your firewall(s) and AV software. If, with those things disabled on each end, the software works properly, you will have an idea of the cause; and can enable one item at a time (Until d20 ceases to exist) to find the culprit.

6. BlueArcher

BlueArcher New Member

yes, we both used the inbuilt function in d20Pro to get the external IP... not sure how I would find out any other way to be honest!

7. BlueArcher

BlueArcher New Member

We tried switching off firewalls and A/V to no avail. Also, FW and AV should not interfere with my ability to ping his computer should it? I managed to ping another friend in the Uk and also a couple of big sites - BBC and Google - successfully.

8. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

The default settings of most Firewall products, reject "ping" requests; additionally, many routers also include this functionality.

Personally, I would see if your other friends have issues connecting with you.

9. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

BlueArcher, I think you posted about a similar problem at the end of last month, were you ever able to get you and your friends connected at all?

Are any of your friends able to connect to each other?

My initial thoughts are still that your ISP is blocking ports which will be hard to get around since you don't have access to router you're connecting through. If we can narrow down exactly where the connection is failing it will be a big help here.

10. BlueArcher

BlueArcher New Member

I have managed to ping a friend but we were unable to connect in d20Pro... I think that particular issue was version difference (I was on 2.1.1 and he was on 2.1.2) however I have not been able to verify that as he is now travelling (work).

Apart from that, I have not tried connecting with anyone else yet - happy to do so with anyone on this list if it would help debug the issue though!

I will contact my ISP today and ask them if they are blocking d20Pro from 'talking' or have seen this issue before.

11. BlueArcher

BlueArcher New Member

I have just validated with TWC that port 10101 is not blocked and that the IP reported by d20Pro is the correct one (ie TWC aren't being 'clever' and NATing me somewhere up the line). Form this and the fact that I cannot PING my friend in the UK, I suspect this issue lies with his ISP (BT Yahoo). I'll see what he says...

However, if one of the gurus would allow me to test a connection to them, I would appreciate it!