1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Controller for projected/LCD digital tables

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Robotguy, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

I am in the process of building a projector based digital table and I have picked up a couple of the Pixy cameras hoping to use them as a controller with digital minis. The idea would be to use something like this: http://ultimatelcdgamingtable.blogspot. ... ature.html

The Pixy can recognize pairs of colors (LED) as a "color code" and report ID (which two colors are present), position, and orientation of multiple items over USB (probably a virtual serial port, but I'm not sure yet).

Is there any chance D20Pro could support this type of thing as an input? Maybe even more generically (e.g. ID,POSITION,ORIENTATION being associated with either a virtual mini or the cursor)? It seems a lot of people are using D20Pro as the engine for these types of tables, and this would really make it the leader in that arena by quite a margin.

2. ChrisRevocateur

3. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

Yes, exactly! It looks like the back end is all in place. How is the fiducial input to the game handled? If it's a separate application that hands info to D20Pro, I can just write up a small program to convert the Pixy data to whatever format is already supported. If the fiducial recognition is handled in D20Pro itself, then support for the Pixy would have to be added also.

BTW, I recognize that there are other ways to handle this type of input (smoothboard, FTIR, Reactivision+fiducials, etc), but Pixy looks looks to be a cheap/easy solution, assuming the hardware meets expectations. Reactivision sounds like it might be rather CPU intensive, but if not, I guess that would be a better way to go, just point a webcam at the table...

4. ChrisRevocateur

I'm just a consumer of d20Pro that's been around for a while, so I saw that video back when they first put it out. It's now down in the depths of d20Pro's YouTube channel, so most people haven't seen it, and thus don't know that d20Pro has capabilities like this.

What I'm saying is I have no clue. I only use d20Pro, and when you asked if it was possible, I pointed you to the proof that it is, though I don't know how myself.

Of course the actual d20Pro people would know this, so hopefully one of them comes along and answers your questions for you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.