1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Controlling a projector on my table

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djc664, Aug 25, 2010.

1. djc664

djc664 Member

I'm using Smoothboard 2.0 to utilize two Wiimotes on an XP machine through Widcomm Bluetooth Stack. A home-made IR LED pen later, I'm rocking a rolling with a digital whiteboard setup on my table that has a roughly 42" 16:10 screen. I think I can get up to around 90" on the table if I don't want to give the players any room to put their books... ;)

I'm moving to the D20 Pro Testing with this setup, and I wanted to see if anyone else has done the same (specifically using Smoothboard) and if they have any advice or tips they could share.

2. cyderak

cyderak Member

3. vecna

vecna New Member

i have been using a projector for the table for about a year and a half now. I have another post where i talk about it called ir pen on the message boards. Currently i am playing the age of worms and can't find any maps for the champions belt so I am having to try and construct a map for d20pro but it is slow going.

Anyways I have the latest smoothboard program but it is unregistered and am not crazy about paying to get it registered but i heard a rumor that if you do they give you updates to make it more functional and stable. I can never get it to catch the wii motes when it starts up. Have you had that problem? are there any better programs?

what about one that allows us to right click with the ir pen. I know smooth board does but I just wanted to know if there were any better programs out there.

as for tips that i can give you is that you will really need to right click a lot so make sure the tool bar is easy for the players to get a hold of. Use two laptops if you can (i use one) or else the players will move the curser while your clicking on your side....which is very frustrating

4. cyderak

cyderak Member

My next little project is to somehow create a base with an infrared LED in the bottom of it and a button on the side to activate the LED.

My professionally painted minis would sit in this LED switch base.

This LED Base would be slightly bigger than the professionally painted minis base so they seat perfectly inside.

The part that is going to suck is trying to fit an LED, a switch, and a power source (most likely a watch battery) inside of a base that small.

Any ideas and or Blueprints?????

5. djc664

djc664 Member

Do you have a source pic that you can reference? I might be able to help with that, but I'd have to see what you're trying to get to scale and I don't have that set.

It may, in fact, unlock something but I didn't get any new downloads or updates when I registered. I think the way the pop-ups and timer acts might be the reason it is less stable when unregistered. I've only really been messing with it for a number of hours, but it looks like the best program available right now after a year of research.

What Bluetooth stack are you using? I use a Widcomm stack linked with a Targus USB dongle plugged into a Win XP SP3 PC, for reference.

Because it doesn't use the Windows Bluetooth stack, it doesn't launch the "SmoothConnect" part of the software. I've tried using it on a Win 7 Business install I have on a laptop, but Win 7 was not playing nice with the Wiimotes at all. They would install, try to install drivers, then remove themselves from Bluetooth devices over and over again. Only got SB to work twice in seven times of trying due to Windows 7 dropping the wiimotes.

Good call - I'll be sure to let you know if I find something out....

Exactly what I was looking for… thanks!!

6. djc664

djc664 Member

For inspiration, here's a link to a guy who wired up lights into Warhammer figs... the power in the base to light the IR LED would be similiar:
    http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2008/12/ ... ns-of.html

Might want to base it (har har) off of one of these lights: http://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec-Pul ... B000BIZVMI
    That should give you the basics on what to hook together to get the light working. Dunno how often you'd need to change the batteries, but with LEDs I'd imagine not much.

I'm going to suffer along with the IR Pens and manually moving minis separate, as my goal is to get reacTIVision working with fiducial markers on the bottom of the figures (this is essentially what the MS Touch does for control objects and minis) when it's all said and done.

7. cyderak

cyderak Member

I have the registered version of Smoothboard 2.0 and it runs wayyyyy more smooth than the unregistered. almost too easy.