1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Creature Merge/Save

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Robotguy, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

Specifically for player or NPC characters, it would be nice to be able to merge the "active" on-map character back into the library. I realize that I should probably be updating the player characters in the library, then using "bulk replace" to update the on-map version, but that feels really awkward and I usually forget and end up modifying the active version. Then the active version and the library version are out of sync, and there's no way to save or export the active version. It's a negative feedback loop because the further they get out of sync, the less I want to do all of the work to manually sync them back up.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I find myself not keeping primary PCs and NPCs in the library. usually what I do is create a map that has nothing on it other than simple background and call it "Transition" or "WaitingRoom", I keep all my PCs and major NPCs on this map.

In this way, I can export this map at various times, such as just before the PCs level up -- thus giving me a backup to go to if needed. My NPC are usually set to hidden, in case the players have not met one of the NPC tokens.

Then when I need the PCs or an NPC, I just click over to that map and move the token required to the active encounter or dungeon or whatever, then once the encounter or scene is complete, I move them back to the "Transition" map while they are awaiting the next scene or game encounter.

In this way, I only have to worry about one set of token and do not have to keep an active set vs a set in the library -- thus preventing the sync issue you refer too...

Likewise, it allows players to roll things and do stuff from their characters when, you are out of scene or not on a specific encounter map or the like...

Give it a try, it might work better for you...

3. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

Thats a great idea. I also found out, when reading through the forums at lunch today, that you CAN save active creatures to the Library. It's in the context menu Location>Save Creature.

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

It does, but it creates a copy so if your token is named MySuperPC, it saves the active token as MySuperPC1 and so on...personally, I didn't care for that and started the method I described earlier...

5. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

Well in 3.4.7 at least it gives you the option to overwrite.

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

good to know... yeah, I've been doing it my described way for quite some time. So, it's a change I most likely didn't realize had been made. Glad you found a method that suites you, if you have anything else don't hesitate to ask..