1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Critical Hits Not Working

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Stonesnake, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

So after playing nearly 50 games of Pathfinder using d20Pro we noticed last night that critical hits don't seem to be working correctly (or at all). We have version 3.1 and we often us the attack tab for touch magic attacks such as Flame Strike or Acid Arrow.

We noticed that BOTH of these spells weren't rolling critical damage at all. We have the damage type as "fire" for the Flame Strike (it doesn't have a damage type of Bludgeoning/Piercing/Slashing/etc...) and same thing for Acid Arrow (damage type of "acid"). Neither of these will work correctly when they crit. They just roll normal damage, I've tested this multiple times and it definitely isn't working.

I think I remember reading somewhere that you need to put in a damage type of Bludgeoning/Piercing/Slashing/etc for this to work correctly, but there are several attacks (especially at higher levels) when this is not the case at all.

Please let me know if this is a bug or if this can somehow be fixed. Thanks.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Since weapons with special magical properties that deal magical elemental damage do not multiply on a critical hit, d20Pro will not calculate double damage on elemental damage types.

However, Pathfinder rules state that for touch attacks (ranged touch attacks also) that deal elemental damage can be a critical hit and thus a dice multiplier would be added for the damage.

To set this up, use the "Acid" and "Critical" descriptor as the damage types on a separate line of damage. The descriptor "Critical" will tell d20Pro to only roll this damage IF it is a critical hit.
    [​IMG]

Then when you attack with it and hit normally, the critical damage is not rolled, thus a 0 will appear in that damage line.
    When you successfully critical an opponent then the critical damage is rolled also.

3. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

Ah great, perfect! Thanks for telling me about this, setting up all my touch spells right now...

You guys should really put little known things like this in the instructions or an online FAQ or something as I would have never known how to do that, and I've been using d20pro for over a year and nearly 50 sessions!

Any other little secrets that we should know about how to setup in the program?

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Good idea. An online FAQ should be created. I'm not sure what other gems are out there for you to discover, though, the Manage Tiles received an update recently, if you use tiles for objects (maybe a roof on a building that you can hide when the players go inside, or maybe as an illusion of a bridge that goes out when the party is in the middle!), I'd check it out.