1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Critical Hits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChrisRevocateur, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ChrisRevocateur

How is the damage for critical hits calculated? I first noticed something wonky when one of my players' alchemist got a critical with his bomb (1d4+3 dmg), and only did 6 damage. The absolute minimum should be 8 damage.

Also, does the critical calculation just double the number you rolled, or does it roll twice for damage and add them together, cause that would explain why sometime critical damage is an odd, rather than even, number.

2. Truwen

Truwen Member

Critical only applies when you crit. So if you have a weapon with flaming burst on it. You set the attack up with a second damage type select your elemental damage type (fire) and then add crit. This way you will do that damage for flaming burst ONLY when you crit.

As far as subdual damage I am not sure how that works in d20pro. I just did a test and it killed my test character, so I have no idea if it tracks subdual separately from lethal.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

It doesn't currently have subdual HP tracking, this entry is currently for creatures who are immune to subdual damage, or have some resistance for subdual damage. Hopefully in a later release... this, along with other types of health points, can be tracked.

4. ChrisRevocateur

You guys answered the wrong post here. THIS one was about how critical damage is calculated. The OTHER one was about the critical and subdual damage TYPES.

So my question still stands, how are the damage dice on a critical hit multiplied in d20Pro?

5. ChrisRevocateur

But definitely thank you for answering my other questions, they just happened to be in a different thread. It's good to know that there is a way to program in burst weapons and such now.

6. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Crit damage is determined by rolling the die twice (or three times, depending on the weapon). I think that's the rule in both 3e and pathfinder.

7. ChrisRevocateur

Nope, the rule is to roll your damage (including all regular modifiers, like str bonus, enhancement bonus, specialization bonus, etc. But not burst or sneak attack damage or anything else that adds dice to the damage) two or more times and add them up. It's been that way since 3.5. I looked it up when I noticed the disparity in damage crit damage. Thought it might have been a difference between 3.5 and Pathfinder, but it's not. I don't have a 3.0 player's handbook anymore, and I can't remember exactly what the crit rules in 3.0 were, but I think the way to calculate crit damage that you're talking about is from 3.0.

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Pathfinder OGL http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Critical-Hits

3.5 OGL http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#multiplyingDamage
    This is what critical damage is based on. Roll multiple times, add bonuses to each roll, then get total.
    Precision damage, such as a sneak attack or extra damage based on a special property of the weapon is not rolled multiple times. AKA, any weapon damage from a non-physical damage type.

9. ChrisRevocateur

Yeah, but it's not adding things like the STR bonus twice. It's just rolling the dice twice.

As I said before, my player's alchemist had a critical hit for only 6 points of damage, when, at 1d4+3 (the +3 is the stat bonus, which is normally considered in a critical, so is enhancement bonus, etc) it should be at the very LEAST 8 points, with an average of 10 to 12.

10. ChrisRevocateur

Also, if the extra dice damage isn't supposed to get multiplied, then why is the +1d4 ectoplasmic damage from my soulblade's psychokinetic property doing things like 6 or 7 damage on a critical hit?

11. ChrisRevocateur

Wait! I think I got it figured out. Because fire damage is usually not the source of an attack that can crit because it's a tag on like the flaming property, instead of being things like a bomb, where it is subject to multiplied crit damage, the fire damage type will not multiply on a critical hit in d20Pro. So from now on, I need to roll damage again and manually damage any creature hit by a critical of his, or I could just ask him to attack the target again, and fudge it as a hit regardless of the roll.

Now the reason my soulknife's psychokinetic property is multiplying is because it is coded as untyped, because there is no "ectoplasmic" damage type in d20Pro, it's multiplying like a normal part of the damage. Maybe if I switch it to the psychic damage type it will code correctly.

12. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Alchemist Bombs are not subject to multiplied critical damage according to the Pathfinder OGL. However, you can certainly house-rule it differently by adding bludgeoning damage as the type of damage for your bomb (keeping fire as a secondary type), and it will calculate the bonus damage as you would like.

Correct, for the damage multiplier to kick in you must select one of the following damage types:
    Bludgeoning
    Piercing
    Slashing

This is also a part of your Soulknife's Form Bind Blade process

13. ChrisRevocateur

Actually, according to the language used there, the first die of the alchemist's bomb damage IS multiplied. It's the damage from every die added after 1st that isn't.

Regardless of whether you agree with that or not though, that's how I'm gonna run it. Is there some way to make an attack that does fire damage that would multiply on a critical? Maybe like this:

1d4+3|bludgeoning|fire
    1d4|fire

for a 3rd level alchemist (he's a reanimator, so he gets only 1d4 bomb damage)

14. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

The first line will have the appropriate damage multiplier you are going for applied to it upon a successful critical hit.

15. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Sounds like you guys are done with this discussion, but I just wanted to clarify myself, so I don't look like an idiot! I was answering your question about whether you roll twice, or roll once and multiply by 2. I didn't intend to imply that you leave off regular modifiers. :)

16. Montis

Montis New Member

You could also use:
    2d4+3|fire
    1d4+3|fire|critical

17. ChrisRevocateur

That's... that's brilliant. Why didn't I think of that! Makes it so I don't have to remember when creatures have DR or whatever.