1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Custom damage amount not always applying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Archon286, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Archon286

Archon286 New Member

I noticed something odd that is either a bug, or me not understanding something. When I have two creatures in combat with each other, and I adjust the damage caused by a hit, sometimes the damage applied is zero. For example:

Goblin swings at PC and hits with a Short Sword. He rolls a 6 for damage. I think that's a bit harsh for my lvl 1 PC, so I adjust the damage to 4, and hit the checkmark to apply it. The 'hit' sound is played, the PC has the number zero show up over him, and the game log reports:

"Goblin vs. AC rolls 16; hits PC with Short Sword for 0 damage (d6 slashing)."

Any idea what causes this? I noticed its not very repeatable, perhaps there is some damage resistance I am applying to the characters unknowingly? (DR box on the PC says 'none')

2. Dragonmaster13

This same thing has been happening on the last two games that I have run. It doesn't happen all the time, but it can get annoying.

3. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I have had this problem, and even have been given an answer. Unfortunately, I can't seem to track it down.

So I will do my best to answer from memory.

When you are modifying the damage scores, you have an option of clicking on the dice or the text. It boils down to this, if you click in the wrong place - you deactivate (de-hilite) the damage dice, resulting in zero damage being done (regardless of the number you actually enter).

I know I have explained this poorly; but give it a try. Do some sample combats, try clicking on various areas of of the "dice". Determine which activity results in the "0" damage, and don't do that any more :)

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I just needed to do a better search ...

Here is the actual text, of the reply i received.

"Ok I now know what is happening when every once in a blue moon when you enter data it goes to zero.

At first I could not replicate but then started going faster and faster trying to replicate the issue.

Then it happened. I was shocked, amazed and now very interested into how the code could do that. So I kept on clicking more carefully this time, and it would not happen, then I started to get impatient again and it happened again, then I noticed what I did.

I miss clicked the edit box then clicked the edit box then said ok to the damage. Why would this set the damage to 0?

There is a feature that you can click the entire damage box and it will turn its gray color on and off. Gray on means apply damage not grayed or off mean no damage.
    This feature allows the DM to zero on the damage with one click instead of requiring them to enter the value 0. Used if for some reason you need no damage to be dealt.

So issue resolved. Have fun replicating it now that we know how it was caused and watch for the loss of gray ..."

5. Fkewlb

Fkewlb New Member

Nice , i remarked the same thing on my first real game with the boys.

Thanx for finding the "solution" !