1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

D20Pro Game Table Version?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cyderak, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cyderak

cyderak Member

Heres an idea.

Did you guys at D20Pro think of maybe releasing a version of D20Pro that would work with projectable gaming tables?

I've seen a multitude of people using these kinds of rigs but using Virtual tabletops to run them.

A D20Pro version with no online capability but optimized for In-Home use. It could feature alot more aspects that are really difficult to broadcast over the internet without lag.

I'm not sure how much tweaking to the core D20Pro software would be necessary or what additions could be added to take advantage of the abilitiy to handle more workload without having to broadcast to players over the internet.

You gotta admit.......You'd be the first to break into this particular market. D20Pro Game Table Edition. Has a nice ring to it............. As a Projectable Game Table user of D20Pro I'd be willing to game test it for you.

Think about it........but not too hard, Bill gates is coming over later for Tea and Scrumpets to talk turkey. Hehehehe...... :D

2. Dan

Dan Member

What would be some of the features you would want in the GTE?

3. cyderak

cyderak Member

Heres a couple ideas: (taking into consideration I'm not a programmer so the features will be stated in the most simplest of ways)

--Any graphic-heavy features you (The D20Pro team) were thinking of adding but couldn't add because of internet broadcast issues.

--Take advantage of smartboard software integration for the gamers who use a Wii-Mote and that software in conjunction with D20Pro. (A somewhat biased feature because this is what I use with my Game Table Rig)

--Each Player having their own player interface minimized to whatever side of the game screen they are sitting in front of until it is their turn. Then when their initiative is up, their interface will pop up and give them a small menu of their options. When an option is clicked on it goes to a larger more detailed page of the option selected. (this feature would also utilize a smartboard-type software)

--spell templates with transparent effects like fire.....lightning......and so on, contained with-in the template itself. Maybe even a little gif or flash animation after the template is set in place. Like a fireball exploding. Or lightning bolt striking.

--Give players the option of a portrait players icon or a flash animation of their character that actually walks everytime it moves from square to square.

--I'll add more as I think of them. Not really sure how feaseable these features are but its worth a shot to mention them. Everyone else in the forums is more than welcome to comment on the subject.

4. djc664

djc664 Member

Ooo!

The only things I'm really wanting is the full screen view for the player side (which I've mentioned in another request thread) and hooks into something like Reactvision (http://reactivision.sourceforge.net/) to allow tokens to be moved about using fiducial marker tracking. The goal would be that the fiducials would be on the bottom of a miniature, for instance, and directly link the movement & alignment of the creatures, so you get all of the tracking and goodness of d20 pro just by moving a miniature across the board.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Word!

6. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

I love the idea, but how does the markers work? What hardware is used to identify these markers?

7. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

8. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

NOTE : I have contacted Microsoft as well as Samsung (for the SUR40). As soon as I get technical details concerning both the software and hardware for this solution I will post it.

9. djc664

djc664 Member

The technology on Microsoft Surface is similiar, but the OS for that is closed and the units cost $10,000. Using Reactvision, which is free, it takes a little know-how but you can make a table yourself for less than 3k easily (I've seen projects for around $1200, and most of that is the projector cost).

If you're still curious how it all works, a basic explanation is on the link I included before (with illustrations!)

10. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

yes i have been in contact with them and it is indeed cost intensive. I think we might wish to create a whole new thread that can first outline solutions for such an environment and then use those ideas and implement them into a cheap and effective and supported single solution.

I would love to participate.

11. cyderak

cyderak Member

I'll play test a Game table version of D20Pro.

12. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

We have to put together a HowTo complete with list of hardware and software required to pull this off. Then post pics of it in operation. If D20Pro is willing to implament support for this method of play then I am willing to put together a build and howto for users.

13. cyderak

cyderak Member

Count me in.

First on the aganda would probably be a list of Features.

14. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

I spoke with a fellow gamer I am preparing to begin a professional gaming group with. We discussed this topic and I reviewed the links provided here. We are totally willing to begin building a table based on that open source project listed above but before we do we would like to know if it will be something that will be supported in the future. Any thoughts?

15. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

16. cyderak

cyderak Member

I guess that would be better fielded by the D20Pro guys.

Is there any way you guys would consider making a Game Table version of D20Pro?

17. cyderak

cyderak Member

Anyone??........Anyone????