1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

D20Pro Monster Token Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkaris, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Arkaris

Arkaris New Member

Hello everybody!

I am a returning online RPG vet from webRPG and OpenRPG, and am looking to upgrade my gaming experience substantially. I have played around with MapTools and find the interface for the macro packages to just be ridiculously complex, and just not worth learning that vs using OpenRPG (a system I already know fairly well). D20Pro reviews seem to say this program is more intuitive and I am very interested in playing around with it on Tuesday (my next full day off from work). However, I have a couple of quick questions about Monster Tokens.

1) Is there any method of importing monster stats to their tokens to the table (D&D 4e)? What is the best way of preping ahead of time for hidden monsters, as I have read somewhere along the way monsters on the table will all roll initiative, even if they are not in the current fight?

2) In every video I have seen a monster's token slowly turns red as it takes damage, is there a way to turn this feature off? If the dice are with my players, I find it more fun to pad my creatures health in the middle of combat, and the opposite is true, I don't want my players only having taken out 25% of the boss' health meanwhile they have used all their readily available healing and are pretty banged up. If this feature cannot be turned off would my available solution be to just set monster health staggeringly high and then just manually kill the creature when it does run out of hp?

2. ChrisRevocateur

1) Importing stats how? Like from DDI? When you click Import on the creature screen there's a DDI button for importing DDI creatures you've saved. Or do you just mean "Is there a way to input the stats for a 4E creature?" If that's the case, I know you can program at will, per init, and per day abilities, and that any and all attacks can be coded to use ANY stat for to hit or damage. Also, if you want to program fixed damage attacks, you can code the damage as 0d2+(whatever the damage is).

These are just the tricks I've seen other 4E players talk about for running 4E. I don't play it myself (I'm a Pathfinder man), so I can't tell you any more than that.

2) In the Options menu, under I think the Judge heading (might be rules though), you can choose whether players see the red damage bars or not.

3. ChrisRevocateur

I remember webRPG. I used that back in Jr. High to play 2nd edition D&D online. VTTs have come a LONG way since then, and honestly are still no where near what they can be someday.

4. Arkaris

Arkaris New Member

All I am really interested in is just getting monsters abilities quickly without having to program 7 different creatures ahead of time. I am assuming that D20Pro does not link in to the Monster Builder? It just accesses the Character Builder?

I've not tried out Pathfinder, I left the gaming community between 3.5 and pathfinder. Came back when I heard about the release of 4.0 and really like that system.

That is what I was hoping to hear, excellent!

I agree VTTs have a long way to go before they reach any kind of a limit. I remember playing 2ed and the fan created DragonBallZ game (which I still have the manual from on my HD) on webRPG a long time ago. I also remember the flame wars that started with the release of 3.0 on there as well.

Thank you very much for the response! Hopefully I will really like what I discover on Tuesday and will start getting a game together shortly.

5. ChrisRevocateur

I dunno. Is there an export option in the Monster Builder? If there is, I don't see why the importer wouldn't work for that as well.

6. ChrisRevocateur

I don't know if you remember the chat room they had on their site, The Keep, but I spent many an hour there in my youth. You know that chatroom STILL exists to this day, even after WebRPG fell apart?

7. Arkaris

Arkaris New Member

Wow, did not know that. It is interesting though. Does anyone even visit that chat room?

8. ChrisRevocateur

When I went there earlier today to see if it was still there, there were over a hundred people in the main room alone.