1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

d20Pro will only run under admin privileges

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eddymorr, Sep 7, 2010.

1. eddymorr

eddymorr New Member

Having trouble getting d20Pro to run without having to elevate user privileges. For basic security purposes I have my pc set to only allow program installations with admin rights. Typically does not create a problem and program runs under general user rights. d20Pro has become the exception. I could use some help getting it to run under normal user privileges. I'm running WIN 7. Thanks

Eddy M

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Move the installation out of "Program Files".

D0PRO has to update certain "status" files, each time it is run. Windows Vista/7 will only allow an administrator to update files that are in the C:\Program Files (or C:\Program Files(86)) directories.

Fortunately, D20PRo can be relocated with a simple cut & paste ...

3. eddymorr

eddymorr New Member

Hi again ...

I moved the program out of "ProgramFiles" into C:\mindgene\d20pro\
    Did a reboot and ... the program is still asking for elevated privileges to run.
    Any other suggestions?

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

Verify the settings on the directory you made to make sure that everybody has read/write/execute to the directory you created and its subdirectories

5. Fkewlb

Fkewlb New Member

On windows system, if you move the folders, they keep their current security setup

If you copy the folder, the new folder takes on the security setup of the parent folder you are copying too.

6. Lifer4700

Lifer4700 New Member

Any more progress on fixing this problem?

After installation on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, I copied the MindGene directory from C:\Program Files(x86) to E:\ (separate physical spindle, not just logical drive - not that it matters)
    I added "Full Control" to the "Users" group for the MindGene directory, recursively. I double-checked random files and directories within the structure to verify that I have "Full Control".
    I even re-booted.

I STILL get the admin password request when I run it.

7. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

I'd try installing it outside of C:\Program Files directory initially. I've had to do this for a number of apps with Vista/7 so that I could get around similar issues

8. Lifer4700

Lifer4700 New Member

Got it!

I ran the "d20Pro-64.bat" instead of the "d20Pro.exe", and it came up with no complaints!

Now, I wonder how many steps back I could have stopped...