1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Damage Resistance not correctly relating to damage type

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nilram the Grey, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Nilram the Grey

Nilram the Grey New Member

I'm a newbie, so I might have something wrong. I imported the Pathfinder creatures posted on the Pathfinder forum. I was playing around with some zombies fighting some goblins. When I use the Goblin bow attack (type piercing) the damage is being reduced by the zombie DR 5/slashing. When I use the goblin short sword attack (type slashing) there is no reduction of damage. I've checked and the DR seems to be setup right for the zombies and the type of damage on the different goblin attacks seems right as well.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Re: Damage Reduction not correctly relating to damage type

This is a general rules question.

Rules
    Basically:
    25 DR / Slashing (requires a slashing weapon to overcome DR)
    25 DR / Magic (requires magical weapon to overcome DR)
    25 DR / Piercing (requires a piercing weapon to overcome DR)
    25 DR / - (nothing overcomes DR unless the attack itself ignores damage reduction)
    etc

Thus, d20Pro is correctly calculating DR in this case. :)

3. Nilram the Grey

Curtis,

Yep, no surprise the problem was me. ;)

Is there a way to reverse this? Most of the time characters or creatures have resistance to a single type of damage and not a resistance to all but one type of damage. I tried searching the user guide to no avail.

I'm looking at joining a "project" to add the Pathfinder Bestiaries to d20pro. It will be a good test for me during the trial period to make sure d20pro is a good fit for me. I've already determined I like most of how it interface works during play, but the bigger issue most of the time is how hard is it to get data into the system.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you have an example of a stock creature? Or is this a custom creature you are implementing?

Perhaps the easiest way if it's a custom rule/creature is to simply state DR/- and verify damage type upon approving damage (in which case you can click the damage and it will show you the actual damage roll and you can apply actual damage vs the auto-calculated DR reduced damage. Remember, we only use automated features when it speeds up game play :) Then you can always request a feature to make game play quicker, prep quicker, etc if the feature request is supported by the community. Though, I'm interested if there is a creature in stock DnD or PF that we would need this :)

5. Nilram the Grey

Dang! More PEBKAC on my part. I had DR backwards. I said I was new to Pathfinder. I was thinking resistance instead of DR.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Energy Resistance

Okay, Here's a quick primer http://forums.d20pro.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1852

Basically, in the character sheet, click on the space of "ER" then you can fill out what the creature has elemental resistances or vulnerabilities. :)

So, you can make a creature ER 10 fire and vulnerable to ice, or any combination you like.

7. alon

alon New Member

i have face same types of problems!!!