1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Dice randomness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daeruin, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

We just finished a gaming session where everyone seemed to be rolling awful. We were doing an epic kingdom building session for our Pathfinder Kingmaker campaign, so it was all manual rolling. After the session ended, I pulled all the die rolls out of the game log and put them into a table. The results?

We rolled an average of 8.176 over 34 different d20 rolls. I guess it's not that far off from average, especially considering the relatively small sample size. I noticed there were a disproportionate occurrence of 1s (four) and 2s (eight), as well. I know you guys added a better randomizer a while back, but these results still seem a little strange.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's a test.
    Have d20Pro roll out 10,000 d20 rolls.
    Copy entire result and paste into a document where I used the spaces as an indication for a new line.
    Copy line separated values and paste into a spreadsheet.
    Use spreadsheet calculations for average and quantity of rolled results for each value.
    Also used Excel's random number generator to compare results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems pretty close to me. Sometimes game sessions (even at a real table) there are bad rolling nights.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

OK Curtis, you have entirely too much time on your hands.. pls step away from the coffee cup <chuckle>

that's actually pretty helpful, thnks man :)

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Actually speaking of this.. it would be a nice feature to have limiter or control of a limiter on # of dice rolled... I have an annoying player that enjoys spamming 100d20+10 every hour or so..

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, if you ever watched News Radio, I drink coffee like I'm Dave. Not really though. :p

GoGo 2minutes!
    CountIf is awesome

Here's the file if you want to run some yourself.

I've had someone spam 1000d20's before, yeah, I just said "you guys figure out what to do next while we wait on ____ to finish his rolling so we can continue, I'll be back in a bit." It didn't happen again.

Attached Files:

6. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Thanks for the response. I figured it must have just been an off night, and a small sample size. It's nice to see evidence of the dice roller's randomness. :)