1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Displaying Player Attack and Damage Rolls before Resolution

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruanwindstorm, Jun 16, 2010.

1. ruanwindstorm

ruanwindstorm New Member

Hi, I'm new to d20Pro, and am currently testing it out with some of my group.

We place a lot of value on the mini-drama that goes along with PC dice-rolling in combat. Therefore when a player declares an attack in D20 pro, I'd like for them to be able to see their own roll BEFORE I decide if it's a hit or miss, and also to be involved in "rolling" their own damage.

As it is now, the player declares an attack, but there's no immediate feedback, just some mumbling from the DM as the DM determines whether it was a hit, whether it was a crit, and what the final damage was. The little moments of excitement from seeing your PC attack roll, then making a confirmation roll, and finally getting to personally dish out some butt-kicking with your own damage roll are gone.

Is there any way to keep the PC better informed of what's going on step-by-step when they attack? Even better, is there a way to have the PC prompted to "roll" (via a click) his own damage rolls?

If the current d20pro setup were a table-top game, it would mean that the DM would make all the attack and damage rolls behind a screen, then inform you of what happened all at once. It just doesn't feel very much like what we're accustomed to.

Thanks!
    ruanwindstorm

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

There is certainly no requirement that you utilize the D20 dice rolling mechanism, ever.

You can use the program to queue the attack as normal, have your player roll to hit, press the appropriate "hit/miss/confirm/crit" button and have them make the additional rolls as necessary.

I personally use a mixed approach. I allow players to specify (before the outcome is known, obviously) if they want to use manual or automated rolls - any time a dice roll is required.

Some of my players consistently allow the PC to roll initiative and attack; but insist on rolling their own damage. Others let the PC do everything ...

Since you can manually input damage and initiative rolls, and since you can declare any attack to be a hit/miss/crit regardless of the actual number rolled on the dice. you should find that you have complete flexibility to customize the play to your (and your players) satisfaction.

My only caveat, is that I am considering the requirement for all skill checks to be made electronically (for which I will hide the roll results) so that the players will not know if the reason they didn't find a secret door is because there isn't one present or they didn't roll high enough.

3. Dan

Dan Member

You can have the players use the Core Dice window. Specifically, go to the Custom Dice and create macros for your to-hit and damage rolls. Then players can roll each individually and you just manually damage the monsters!

http://help.mindgene.com/basics/start-menu/dice

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

Exactly what Daniel said.

So they can add a macro like "Longsword +1 attack" dice would be 1d20+(to hit modifier) example 1d20+14
    Then add "Longsword +1 damage": 1d8+7
    Then "Longsword +1 crit damage": 2d8+14

now they can roll their attack see their number and wait for the DM to tell if they hit or not.

Then they can roll the correct damage dice then wait for the DM to apply that damage modified by DR and ER to the creature to see if they hurt the monster.

Would take more time to accomplish but if the players want that they can use it, while the DM can use the regular attack system because he just wants the monster to attack do damage and move on.

In my home campaign most of the players actually still roll real dice at the table. We use the system to keep up with the map and hitpoints. While some of our players use d20Pro exclusively.

It is all up to you how you would like to play

5. ruanwindstorm

ruanwindstorm New Member

Thanks for the help, I'll try these out during our next playtest session!