1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Do imported maps have to snap?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zandari, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Zandari

Zandari New Member

I am trying to import some maps I have scaled out of .pdf products. The maps have 50x50 squares printed on them, but a border around the edge of roughly 1/2 square. When I drop it into a new map and size it up, all the squares are off by 1/2. I want to be able to drag the image over to match up with my 50x50 grid so everything lines up. Is that possible?

I know that I was able to do so with Maptools (I could either "unsnap" the image and drag it as needed, or I could actually drag the grid around to line it up), and was wondering if it was possible with d20Pro.

If not, this would be something that should go in the feature request folder, I suppose.

The alternative is to modify the maps themselves, cracking them open in Gimp or PS and cropping them down, but I would rather not have to do so.

Zandari

2. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

What do you mean "when I drop it into a new map"? I know that when I create a new map from an existing file, I can move the map around at will just by clicking and dragging. Are you unable to?

3. Zandari

Zandari New Member

Well, I can drag it around, but only in 50 pixel increments. In other words, the corners of the new image snap automatically to the grid corners.

Because my image has its own grid, which is slightly offset from the edges of the image, I need to be able to place the edges of the image, slightly off the corners of the grid.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, you can change the grid size by using the up/down arrows besides the grid size indicator on the bottom of the map import window. You can also grab the image and move it to best be displayed on the grid.

5. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I'm really baffled by this grid-snapping that you're describing. I've always been able to drag my map slightly off from the edges. I didn't even know it could snap. Has anybody else seen this grid-snapping thing? Is it an option somewhere?

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

There is no option to have the map "snap" to grid lines on an image. I guess to clarify...

Yes. This is done directly after you Import a Map from file (when a new window opens with the image file loaded and you can select pixels per square and align the image with the d20Pro grid.

7. Zandari

Zandari New Member

So I have played around with this some, and I think i figured out what I was doing differently than was expected.

FIrst, based on Curtis' direction (thanks!), I figured out was the right way to do things, after spending some time with this:
    Using Game Tools --> Create
    This does exactly what I was hoping to be able to do. I can use an image from my filesystem, lay a grid over it, resize that grid, and move the image around a little bit to make it match up.

However, what I was doing initially, and why I was baffled:
    I have access to all sorts of neat map tiles.
    I created a raw map - 50x50, it's all blank, has grid, looks like a great canvas on which to start dropping the tiles as necessary
    Draw Tools --> Painting Tiles, start dropping the tiles in, and everything looks good
    However, I remember, oh, I have this great looking house on a map, it's already to scale, and I can just drop it over here on the side. Unfortunately, it has a narrow border around it. I figure, that's okay, I will just slide it over a little bit so the squares line up. Unfortunately, when Painting Tiles, it appears everything snaps to the background grid.
    Is there a way to de-snap that?

Zandari

8. Dan

Dan Member

Not currently, but the grid and the whole snappy thing is being addressed. We want a fully sizeable, maleable grid and snap feature - one that allows you to even turn off grid snapping with units and everything. For now, objects on the map snap to grid, and you must align your map to the grid when you create one from an image.

Often, I have to go to Gimp, Photoshop, or Paint.net to crop the map to whole squares, then resize it so that the map squares already on the image are measured in whole pixels.

For example, sometimes I find that a map grid size is actually 45.6 pixels per grid square. If so, I count the squares on the map, multiply by 45, and resize the image to the total. Then I create a new d20pro map from the new image and set the grid to 45.