1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

drawing tools(post from general support)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by mahhand, Jul 15, 2011.

1. mahhand

mahhand Member

I am posting this here as well because I think It may be labeled as a bug?

I am really loving the D20pro program. It is quite amazing in how it speeds up play and combat and keeps track of all of the buffs for us. I am struggling though with trying to use the program as a blank battlematt canvas with the drawing tools. From what my tests seem to have show so far is that if you use the manage tile option to create a tile, that no matter what you do, you cannot have any tile sitting on top of either a colored square or a square that has been colored with a texture (such as a grass texture) that you have made with the tile painter or the color painter. You can do this with other tiles that you create but if all you want to do is put some tree tiles on top of a textured or colored map (such as a grass field), this cannot be done. What happens is the tile stay's behind the grass texture or the colored texture and cannot be brought to the front on the map with the move to front or send to back feature that the manage tile tool has. you can use the show and sink buttons to show the tree tile but it will remove what was behind it and replace it will a white tile background now under the tree till. I believe this might be a bug but unless I am doing something wrong it really limits how creative of a map you can make front scratch from within the program. I hope maybe this could be a simple quick fix to remedy this or if I am doing some thing wrong that someone can explain the steps for me.

2. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Let me take a look at this.

3. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail mahhand,

Glad that you are enjoying d20Pro. As for the Draw Tools for the map, currently there are 5 main "layers" from bottom to top
    • 1) Map background color. This can currently only be set when creating the map though that will be remedied soon.
      2) Scaled Tiles - most typically a single scaled tile is used and it stretches over the entire map. This is what happens automatically when a map is created from an image. Multiple Scaled Tiles can be used at once and have their own "layers" within this layer. As you noted you can bring them forward or back. You can also hide/show, rotate, etc.
      3) Single Square Tile or Color - each square is either clear (default), filled with a solid color, or filled with a tile.
      4) Walls & Doors - these paint on top of everything else

So that's the current state of affairs. We have ambitious plans to overhaul the mapping but that's a little ways off. In the meantime hopefully that gives you a clearer idea of how mapping works and how to best leverage it for your games.

4. mahhand

mahhand Member

Is there a way to have scaled tiles be able to be on top of single tile square's or single tiled colored squares? What I have been doing is use the tile painter tool to paint all the tiles of a custon made map by selecting a grass texture. Once this is done, it seems I am unable to place any scaled tiles on top of the grass textured tiles I have painted. I would use the scaled tiles for tree's, buildings, castles, campfires, ect.

5. RenScotson

RenScotson New Member

I'm having similar problems with the drawing tools. For the most part I have been importing images from modules, as I've been running Freeport for the Pathfinder system. I've been developing some side quests for characters that I've been having to draw the maps for.

I've been drawing the maps using Draw, making the walls and doors. (wish there was a window option :D ) and then using the Tile Painter to draw the ground, floors, roads ect. The "Manage Tiles" painter, is always hidden below the Tile Painter, and right clicking to bring it to front to forward doesn't work. It'd be awesome if it did, cause then adding furniture, spell effects, and various details like blood and mud would make things look even more epic.

It'd also be nice if the Manage Tiles painter had a layers option, so you can lock items from any changes and continue to work above them. I don't know how many times I've accidentally re-sized the background map by accident, or dragged it out of place.