1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Screen Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by osake, Aug 17, 2010.

1. osake

osake New Member

I am not able to figure out how to use the dual screen mode, like I've seen advertised and even demonstrated online. I am still demo'ing the product, but would definitely like to own it soon. The problem is, if I can't get the player's screen working, then it's a loss for me. I'm sure this is easy to resolve by someone who has more experience with the tool. I'd greatly appreciate your help.

--Josh

BTW, I'm using the Mac client, hope this helps. (Tutorials thus far have worked fine, so I'm guessing you guys kept it pretty platform independent.)

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

When you are referring to dual screen mode, I am assuming you mean one judge and one player window opened correct?

First start a copy of d20Pro as the judge.

Then start another copy of d20Pro as the player. At this point you can move the player window to the section screen, then your players can use a mouse to control that screen.

it is best to use a second machine so the players use of the mouse does not interfer with yours on the judge window.

3. osake

osake New Member

Oh. I was under the impression that I could just use my computer + projector. I wanted to just mimic miniature movement on the battle board like what we currently do, but cut down on the purple vis-a-vis wet erase marker stains on the map :?

Also, the Mac client is not allowing me to spawn a second copy (might be a Mac thing since they use contexts a little differently than Windows). The projector is costly enough, I'd rather not buy another computer to manage the video aspect.

--Josh

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

If you are using it just as a battle map and your players will not be moving around you can just open a second copy of d20Pro and log in as player and set that on the extended desktop that is being displayed by the projector.

If mac won't let you open a second copy of d20Pro first make a copy of it into another folder, so you have two folders with d20Pro in it. then run the judge from one and the player from another.

Then just control everything from the judge and use the projected image as your virtual table top

5. osake

osake New Member

A little disappointing, but that certainly fixed it. I just renamed my copy to "Player Screen". So, maybe another newbie question here, but the visibility doesn't seem to be automatic for exposing fog of war areas.

I'm using just the same players characters of which none of torches. Didn't know how other abilities like low light vision might also come into play? I think once I compile a bit of experience with running a session, I would certainly be willing to do a nice write-up for new users, such as myself.

Thanks in advance,
    --Josh

6. ogexam

ogexam Member

The fog of war is not dynamic.

The Judge either sets the squares to be seen or not seen. d20Pro at this time does not do lighting or dynamic fog of war.

Though these are things we would like to add in the future.

7. osake

osake New Member

Ahh, appreciate the help again. Big thanks!

If you are wondering why I even asked. See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8fTkXQ1tY0

He appears to be getting dynamic lighting from the player movements. Or is he not using d20Pro?

--Josh

8. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

If you don't mind the players seeing "everything", you can always replicate your screen to the projector.

For what it is worth, the 2nd copy running on the judge machine is a great place to start. My group did this for a few sessions as we migrated from our previous program(s).

Then, I was able to scrape together a "basic" pc; and gave the players their own machine (where they shared a mouse). Later I added multiple mice (along with a program called "TeamPlayer") and that worked well too.

The intermediate step was great, as it allowed each player the ability to learn how to use the software - without a significant hardware investment.

Since that time, 3 of my players have purchased their own laptops; but 2 players still share the machine connected to the projector.

I imagine that once everyone has their own PC, I will go back to running a second client on my machine - just to run the projector. While a "big" screen won't be needed at that point, the players still like to refer to it.

Re: Fog of War.

Whole it is on the "to do list" to make this dynamic, you do have some options.

When "painting" or FOW you can set the size of the "brush". This allows you to hide/show large areas with a single mouse click. IE, as your players move you can reveal what lies ahead; and hide that which is now out of range.

9. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

osake, they are not using d20Pro in that video you posted so that's where the confusion is coming in.