1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Dundjinni to Projector resolution issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shoggothic, Feb 28, 2011.

1. shoggothic

shoggothic New Member

I recently mounted an Optima GT720 Projector in the ceiling of my game room to display maps as we play. I wanted to ask some questions regarding resolution that I hoped you could help me with. Whether or not my Dundjinni maps are exported via JPEG (1600x1200), PNG (1600x1200), or RAW BMP up to 200 DPI, my maps are no where near as sharp and detailed as other users when displayed from my projector. The detail issues arise when I try to shrink my maps from actual pixels down to miniatures scale (1" x 1" standard grid)-they become very chunky and pixelated and the detail is lost (can you say 16 bit Super Mario?). Any maps that I have found on the internet, whether made in Dundjinni or Photoshop, I can display on my projector and shrink to miniature scale without loss of detail or pixels. This is regardless of the resolution my projector is set at, whether at its native 1280x768 or higher (the resolution of the projector seems to make little difference). I believe the issues to stem from exporting incorrectly from Dundjinni or altering image size in Photoshop. What could I be doing wrong in my export from Dundjinni or image sizing in Photoshop? How do I maintain maximum resolution and minimum pixelation for display via my projector?

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.

2. djc664

djc664 Member

In order to know what you're doing wrong, you need to understand the parts.

Graphic files have two parts to resolution:

1. DPI - Dots per inch. This is also synonymous with Pixals on the screen (dot = pixal).
    2. Size - this is how many pixals / inches the image is, H x W. This is misleading, because it is divided at any time by DPI. Obviously 72dpi (web standard resolution) is not going to be the same size as something which is 300dpi (print standard resolution). It is handy though, as the math is fairly easy to figure out when the grid is 1" base.

Golden rule of graphic files - you can always go smaller in resolution but never larger.

That all being said, you want your source (i.e. the file you export from Dundjinni) to be the highest dpi & size possible (Dunjinni typically saves things at 200dpi). This gives you the best looking image to start from. Depending on the final size of the battle map, you will generally want to stick with 200dpi for the final image. I've had problems with images that get into the 90 in x 50 in or so range with d20 Pro, but for most maps you'll be fine at 200dpi no matter the size

In Photoshop, here are some tips:
    1. Show a grid at 1" with 1 subdivision. This will let you preview what the grid will look like in the final product, and let you easily align what you need using the transform tool in photoshop.
    More on Grids: http://www.tutorial9.net/tutorials/phot ... photoshop/

2. Using the crop tool to resize an image:
    When you select the crop tool, the constraints bar will show up at the top of the image. This will show blanks for Width, Height & DPI. If you leave them blank, they will keep the size in relation to the original. If you type in dimensions, it will conform the selection to that related scale and make the product to match those values exactly.

Say if you have a map that's 2500px X 2500px @ 200dpi. This means you have a map at 12.5 inches X 12.5 inches @ 200 dpi (2500px/200dpi = inches). You want it to be 12x12 so that it's full squares.... so you select the crop tool and enter "12 in" H x "12 in" W @ "200" dpi (which ensures the dpi stays the same). Using the tool cursor, you select and drag over what you want the final map to be. The selection will maintain sqaure. Hit enter and it will crop it down, making the image saved at 12" x 12". Save as a jpg and select quality... the higher the better.

Note: JPG is a compressed file format - the more compression = lower quality = smaller file size.

That should get you started in the right direction.

Also, i use a DVI-D to HDMI cable connection between my projector & computer, which allows 1920 x 1080 resolution. For the projected image, a higher screen resolution is always better. That link is a great source for Audio/Video/Network cables, in general. Don't get suckered by the big-box retail prices for HDMI cables.

3. Dan

Dan Member

Yes, in general, you want to export from DJ at 200dpi BMP. That should produce a pretty hefty image size, but you can then bring it into photoshop, do your post work, and then save it to a jpg or png.

PNG will give you much better quality with little compression.

JPG will give you much better compression but at a quality loss. The quality setting on the JPG is critical. I usually set mine to High (6) minimum, and sometimes go up to 10 (out of 12). Zooming in a lot while the image quality is 5 or less will look terrible.