1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Easy-decrement for inventory items

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by unsaved, Jul 12, 2012.

1. unsaved

unsaved Member

Motivation: We have to live with the fact that the GM has to make changes to characters' inventories. It would mitigate that inconvenience if consumable items could be decremented easily. Now it's very inconvenient because you have to double-click to get focus then delete one or more digits before replacing them OR toggle insert mode on and off OR highlight the entire entry and replace. These are the reasons that I'm now using ticks on scraps of paper instead of d20Pro for keeping counts.

Please implement an easy gesture like LMB (left mouse click) inside of the # fields to decrement the integer value (after verifying that the field contains a positive integer). Please do NOT add a spin wheel or digit-pulldown widget, as they are eye candy that are slower to operate than what you have now. Doesn't actually matter to me whether you add an increment operator for symmetry, because these things (arrows, food, torches, potions) don't increment by ones nearly as often as they decrement.

Since you require double-click to give the field entry focus, single-click should work ok.. maybe (could complicate internal-frame focus behavior, etc.). The goal is to not require multiple gestures-- do not want to have to double-click to get focus before doing the decrement gesture. Maybe you want to work in the MSW (mouse scroll wheel) operation that you use elsewhere-- to scroll for increase/decrease but press/click it for decrement would be imprssive. Or maybe tiny "-1" buttons in the cells.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Have I mentioned the Ability Tab?
    I keep track of expensive consumables here too (all consumables for PFS games - since there's accounting between game sessions and each game has an official sheet that they can use with any PFS game no matter the GM).

Thus, something like ammo is placed as an ability with "Charge" then as the character uses the "Ability" it auto decreases (after I, the GM, approve it). Alternatively, I can just click on the edit ability icon and manually adjust the numeric value associated with the quantity.
    "(Counter) Paper Cart (bullet)" 42/60

So, I have my players tick off consumables when they use it and I approve the use and the character is adjusted correctly on d20Pro. Just be sure when you rest your characters that you do not Rest/Reset All or Rest/Reset Charges (select creature(s), alter > rest > ...)

I also use the Ability Tab to keep track of weapon and armor hardness and HP (yes, occasionally I try to break my PC's toys).
    "(Object): Rapier#1 (Hardness:10, HP:5)" 5/5

I also use the Ability Tab to keep track of uses on a Wands and Potions.
    "Wand: Cure Light Wounds (CL1, SR, standard, touch)" 42/50
    "Potion: Cure Moderate Wounds (CL3, SR, self=standard, other=full round)" 3/3

I use the Ability Tab to automate fighting stances or defenses or job abilities:
    "Fight: Defensively (must attack to fight defensively)" at-will
    "Fight: Total Defense (standard)" at-will
    "Bardic Performance (activate:standard, continue:free)" Per Day 22/31
    "Channel: Negative Energy (standard, 30ft radius)" Per Day 2/6

And of course, I use the Ability Tab to keep track of spells and spell slots (for spontaneous casters).
    "Spell(4): Dimension Door (standard, touch, 720ft range)" At-Will
    "(Counter) Spell(1)" Per Day 6/6

You will notice I always indicate the type of action, the area affected, the range it can be used, and if the character needs to break SR.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh! When we overhaul the items your input will be considered. Thanks.

Also, there's a Notes Tab you can use for notes about consumables (though that means you would have to have all your PC's d20Pro character sheet's open. Would save the paper though.

But, yeah... I use the Ability Tab for everything like that.

Players can use Abilities from their character sheet or mini window. Personally, I use the character sheet for quick access to skill checks, and the mini window for abilities (spells, supernatural abilities, counters, etc).

For consumables, they just click on the ability then submit it to me. I quickly press ok to approve it, and move on. Yes, if they are a gunslinger firing 4 bullets a round, that is a lot of approving, but still better than me writing stuff down.

4. unsaved

unsaved Member

I like your several other work-arounds using Abilities, but my players understandably like their plain inventory items listed in a single place, and the Item tab is that place. Though it would be nice to have user-initiated decrementing, I can live without that because the GM is already aware when arrows are fired, when characters eat meals, when torches are expended, etc., so I can just decrement items myself more simply than doing submittal/approval work. I just want an easier/quicker way to decrement. Besides Item tab being more intuitive and less of a hack than Abilities (for basic inventory items), it has the following advantages:

• Whether GM-assisted or if players use character import/export and their own Judge campaign to Edit their own character sheets, to shop we just use Add on the item sheet instead of keying in attributes. For custom shopping lists (with campaign-specific stats or other details) I can customize the Item library that they use.

I need to start tracking inventory weight because I have some players that horde. They loot non-destroyed armor off of every corpse. Item tab calculates this nearly perfectly (lack-of-rounding bug that I'll submit sometime) and correctly accounts for "#".

When I get time I intend to add icons for all of the common inventory items. That will make items much easier to spot both when shopping and when just looking for something in inventory.

Pickup function works great and intuitively with this system.

This all works great for me. All I need is an easy-decrement for consumables.

I am also waiting impatiently for tighter integration between Item (inventory) items and Attack and Ability items. When that is working (I really hope within a year), IMO for consistency, this is where quantities of ammunition, charges, etc. (i.e. anything in the character's game-world inventory that has a count) should be tracked, though the associated Attack and Ability records may also reflect the quantities and definitely should decrement the counts.