1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Edges VS walls

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ncassella, May 16, 2016.

1. ncassella

ncassella Member

I'm having a hard time understanding the difference between edges and walls.
    They both seem to do the same thing.

In the image below I have a section of a house map I made.

Image 1 shows the wall which is one square wide by 2 high with a wall polygon on the inside, the shadow casting it turned off.

In image 2 I have shadow casting turned on and you'll see a shadow being thrown

In image 3 I have replaced the wall polygon with with an edge polygon

I don't notice a difference in the shadow casting. (maybe the shadow in image 3 has a little smaller spread but I think it's an optical illusion)

Does this mean that Walls and edges are/can be used for the exact same thing? Or is this just in the way I created the walls on my map?

Would some one be able to give me a bit more clarification on them please?

Attached Files:

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

In very non technical speak .. Edges are for things you would outline, Columns, Statues or freestanding things.. Walls are for things you as a Maptogropher (Kril'ism) would fill/shade in or box in as a solid or exclusion from the map.

I'll try and get the Technical definition written up for you or one of the devs to comment on this...

3. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

This is a topic that I'm puzzling over as well.

In one of the videos, I seem to recall that after the walls were drawn, edges were then drawn -- the map was one large room, a hallway and three small rooms. I "think" the edges were necessary because there were no walls to form a division between the hallway and the three small rooms (and between each of the small rooms) but I'd like to know if that was the reason for the edges on that map. Could the edges have been drawn only on the skinny walls between hallway and room (and between small rooms) to achieve the same effect?

Also, I like the term mapeologist. :)

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

yes, they very could have been.. it's one of those instances where using them at this point in the software is highly a personal interpretation and the best answer then becomes, use what works best for you.

Later once we are more able to make use of the flexibility Edges will eventually offer, that will change of course.. Especially when we are able to do things like 'One way mirrors" or things to that effect; where light passes one way, but not the other...

5. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

Nice. All the best to the team. It's coming along slowly but surely. I'm having fun with it.

6. ncassella

ncassella Member

Ok so essentially, right now it makes no difference which i use, since they function the same way.

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

A wall blocks light, moving a token into a square (box) Wall doesn't allow light or a visible map floor (within the confines of the box).. how ever if that box were drawn as/with an edge, moving a token into it would allow light within the confines (but not outside of) of the box shape as well as a visible map floor.

8. ncassella

ncassella Member

AHHH,

Thanks Krilion, that makes sense now.

So if a good way to think of the edge as in terms of elevation, like a 10ft high ledge, you can't see what's up there from the ground, but if you climb up you can see it what's up there.