1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Effects Issue

Discussion in 'Pathfinder' started by MrYuk, Apr 23, 2017.

1. MrYuk

MrYuk New Member

I am doing something fundamentally wrong with effects. I have looked at the FAQ on it. I am casting the effect. I am confirming the effect with "ok". I am giving the GM's decision of "ok" and still not seeing the effect. I check Active Effects and there is nothing there--I have even tried creating the effect under that tab. Any common basic errors that people make on effects to make them not work correctly? I am sure I am just doing a simple blunder.

In case you are curious I am trying to cast Mage Armor. I changing the AC +4 and selecting the target and going thru the "ok"s, but nothing.

2. MrYuk

MrYuk New Member

After much tinkering I figured it out and it was simple. I was using the duration of "instant" instead of rounds or something else. So that bring then another question....what would you use the duration instant for? Whatever I was trying with instant wasn't staying on the character even in that instance.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

The 'Instant' model is generally for applying damage to a token. It does not need a duration since it does not require reverting it's state. Hope that helps.. if you have any other anomalies please let us know.

4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

instant is a "permanent" change -- like stat damage or hit point damage.
    duration (rounds, minutes, hours, days) is for persistent effects like curse, bless, bull strength, blindness, etc.
    infinite is for items and really powerful spell effects -- things which you want to track because they can be dismissed, dispelled or otherwise removed, but are otherwise always on.

Worth noting, effect triggers only really matter for features with duration. Take a look at the example hybrid 3.5/5e spell below:

upload_2017-4-25_18-12-17.png

In this case, the spell is "fireball" it's effect has no trigger and applies immediately. It's modify target is HP's (health vs fast healing or temp hp) and it does fire damage. The base damage for the effect is 1d6 with a primary saving throw and a repeat behavior for levels 1 - 10 for any casting class (if the class can cast fireball it repeats the 1d6 fire damage for each level the caster has in the casting class).

The save is using the 5e stat and DC pattern with a Dex save for half damage and a functional DC of 8 + spellcastingClassAbilityMod() + featureLevel().

The two "functions" are special scripts we added to the node engine to allow you to access the spellcaing class's ability modifier as well as the feature's level. The idea is that the feature level might be alterable from external UI such as through the use of Heighten Metamagic feat (3.5/Pathfinder) or overcasting (5e).

If you wanted the effect to persist and be re-applied on the target(s) each round, you'd need to do the following:

upload_2017-4-25_18-17-34.png

And if you wanted to use a template (you know, like a fireball should!)
    upload_2017-4-25_18-18-36.png

AND if you wanted that template to persist for the duration of the spell, just check the duration checkbox. If you want to template to only be visible to the GM, uncheck visible -- this one is great for laying down traps.

upload_2017-4-25_18-24-45.png

You can also lay down a second area around the trap which can trigger a skill check to roll passive checks automagically.

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Erp,

I was sloppy..

wrap the various dice values in a dice( ) call.

so the 2d6 trap should ready dice(2d6)

or replace the value node with a dice node from the list of nodes.

Also, check the Roll each time if you want to have damage differ for each event -- otherwise the damage is rolled for the feature once and is static afterward.

upload_2017-4-25_18-46-41.png