1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

First Impressions

Discussion in 'Pathfinder' started by Entola, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Entola

Entola Member

I’ve been using MapTools for 3-4 months and really enjoyed it, but it had some very frustrating issues that caused me to start looking at commercial alternatives. On MapTools I had downloaded the Pathfinder Framework, but found I couldn’t trust the math. The stats wouldn’t be quite right or there would be random attack bonus that wasn’t right or the AC wasn’t adding up properly, the whole thing made me question every single number the tokens had. That’s not even mentioning the Java Errors that many of my players got all night long, even with fresh installs of java. It was so bad that I had to move the pieces for them because every time they did, they got an error. However, it was a great intro to VTT.

Which brings me to D20Pro, which I heard about from the Chronicle Podcast and Hero Labs. I ran a very small test encounter last night with two of my players to get a test for how the VTT operated and what their impressions were. It was a smashing success! The players loved it, I loved it, and the whole thing went very smooth. We will see how the full party feel about it on our regular game night this Sunday, which will be the determining factor on my purchase, but if it runs even half as good as it did last night, it’s a sale.

Pros (Not an exhaustive list):
    - I can trust the Math! Many of the stat slots don’t auto fill, so I have to put the number in myself, which is a little more work in the front, but pays off big in the back
    - Smooth Combat. I love how quick and easy combat was. I haven’t sat down at a table and played DnD in RL in years, but if I ever did, I would use D20pro, just for the math alone. Simply select your attack, select your opponent, and send your attack to the GM for review. (I love the fact that the GM gets to review all rolls prior to them going out to check for errors.) GM approves the attack and bam, target it damaged auto-magically.
    - I Love how good the whole system looks. It really is one of those things that can easily be over looked, but D20Pro just looks professional.
    - FoW, just drag a box around a room and make that room visible when the players advance to it, very easy and quick set up..
    - Sound! It’s a little thing, but it adds to the game.

Cons (I’m Sorry, but it’s not perfect):
    - The learning curve is STEEP!!! I would say that one of the main reasons that last night’s test when so well is I have spent A LOT of time learning how D20Pro works prior to inviting players. The documentation is almost laughable, it really only touches the basics and just the documentation alone leaves HUGE gaps in the programs capabilities. Thank God for the forums! You really need videos of a lot of the features that make the program works, and advanced documentation.
    - Spells – The spell casting is a little klugy. There is a spell list, but it doesn’t do anything, you really need to combine Effects and Attacks in the Spell tab. As it sits now, I have to create an attack it the spell has an attack roll and an effect if it has an effect or a save roll. It works, but it would be a whole lot easier if the spell list handle both those tasks.
    - No Pointer – One of the best things about MapTools was I held down one button and the players could see my cursor, and they could do the same. It is a very Helpful feature when you aren’t playing in the same room.
    - See the dice rolls, I would like the option to always be able to see/show the dice rolls in the game log. I got a lot of “How did it do X damage when Y was the roll, oh yeah the bonuses” It would be nice if I could check a box and have all the math posted in the chat log to avoid confusion.
    - More integration of Pathfinder Rules – I realize there might be some legal concerns, but it would be nice if that since I chose the Pathfinder Ruleset that all the rules were installed. I.E. Spell Effects, Feats, etc. Currently I can select Spells and Feats, but then I also have to go in and add in the effects of those spells and feats.
    - Stat Block Import – MapTools had a module that allowed me to copy the stat block of any NPC straight into the game. I cannot tell you how nice this was. Cut/Paste that NPC is done. Made setting up encounters very easy.
    - Overall just give me a little GM love to make the setup as easy as possible 

Please don’t let those Cons detract from the overall impression of this review. I loved D20Pro, and if Sunday’s gaming night goes well, you will have a sale.

2. KainPen

KainPen Member

I recently started use d20pro for pathfinder and works great, D20pro is a lot of work on the front end but save time during the game. I actual did not find the learn curve that steep. It is a lot to taken in, but it is very flexible and rather simple to use. I set it up to play even old 1st and 2nd edition D&d and was able to use it. D20pro gets better with every patch to. Yeah documentation is not all that. Because most of all the tips and tricks are on these forums. You should have your players setup Tutorial with some of the team here they used to do them. After I did that I was ready to go and started to convert the system to 2nd edition D&D.

Here something else for you as a DM, I request this feature a while back and it made into the system. If you click on the d20 on the conformation screen, you can change it to any number you want. So If you are about to tpk your group because the system rolling good for you and bad for them, you can fudge the up and down. They never know the wiser. the log will display what every number you changed it to. I think they are reworking the spell system. so expect improvement on that in later release.

you should put the stat block import in suggested features section of the forum, these guys do listen it may take a while to get what you ask for but it does come. I would love to see this would cut time down on front end a lot.

I would love to see dice rolls to, actual made suggestion a while back that there actual see the dice roll over the map as an effect from the roll. Still give it that you are rolling dice feel to it. I would do this next part as optional cause it could slow down game but it would be even cooler if they add the ability to click and move the mouse to roll. Because then with ipads, smart board/ Tables other touch screen tech would still have that feel of rolling your own dice. I know it would make my players give up their dice if it did that.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

cool idea.. would be nice...

however, there would need to be strict judge controls placed on it... I have a player now who likes to randomly throw '1000 d100' into the core dice just to annoy people...

4. KainPen

KainPen Member

Yeah I know what you are talking about. It would only have be for the automation stuff, saves, attacks and damage. Stuff total would get set to dm before showing on map.It would mostly be a fluff piece

5. Entola

Entola Member

I am now a proud owner of d20Pro Full License plus 6 Guests License. My Group and I really enjoyed the game night we had on Sunday. You d20pro guys did a great job!

6. dontadow

dontadow New Member

The lack of a stackblock import has been the reason i just can't buy this project. Great looking program though but my players are too on the fly and i can't take the time out the game to ping in every dragon they stumble upon :)

7. Entola

Entola Member

The way i got around this was to purchase Hero Lab and use the import feature. This isn't really the optimal, since Hero Lab get quite expensive very fast, but it is very helpful when I'm setting up my games.