1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

FoW and Lighting Strangeness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Madoc, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Madoc

Madoc New Member

Hi all,

I am just getting in to D20Pro. I have a map that I drew out rooms with fog of war. I am sure I am not doing this completely correctly, but bare with me. I drew the boxes for each room as Walls, when I tried to make them visible in the fog of war menu it wouldn't work. I made them Masks and it worked just fine. One to my next issue:

All was working well, I tested with a player window and I could reveal and hide by clicking on the region. I saved and came back to my map later. Now changing visibility does not reflect in the player window. Tried lots of things, but what made it work was creating a light source. Now visibility (hide or show) works again. Very strange that suddenly a light source was required to show regions with fog of war.

Any idea why this was happening? Also what is the difference in Mask and Wall? My plan is to use D20Pro on a second screen to show my players the map as they move through a dungeon. I am not running a campaign through it so no need to get fancy with lights, and characters, etc. Thanks!

2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

So Shadowcasting requires lights.

If you want to use the previous style of fog of war you're almost there! just set ALL of the regions to "passive". This will enable you to fully turn a region on or off.

Example of two regions and a creature with a light source.

upload_2016-7-30_15-15-3.png

The room contains two Mask regions and is surrounded by a wall region (necessary for shadow casting; walls stop lights). The region on the left is a passive mask, the region on the right is interactive.

When a Mask is toggled to Visible:
    Interactive Masks respond to light sources and only reveal map where the light sources overlaps.
    Passive Masks will reveal the entire map area covered by the region. Lights sources are still drawn, but do not interact with the Mask.

Documentation on how this stuff all goes together is in the works.

I have a handy blog post with details on how this stuff works while we're working on the proper documentation.

http://d20pro.com/category/dev/

Sorry for the confusion!

3. Madoc

Madoc New Member

Thanks owlbear! That helps and I will pour over your dev blog. It seems to work just how I need it to now for mapping.