1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

FOW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by savatagecm, Feb 5, 2016.

1. savatagecm

savatagecm New Member

I hooked up my laptop to my TV and did an extend display and pushed the map to the TV. I want to do FOW but the easy mode you can still see the map.. How do I get the map to be hidden to them until I reveal a section? Do i need to have another instance of D20pro open as a GM and one as a guest? I plan on using this for my group who will all be at the game, not virtual. I want the players to only see what i reveal as they see it...

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, please open a second instance of D20PRO and point to 127.0.0.1.

Use the first instance as GM/Judge/Host and view on your laptop's display.
    Use the second instance as Player and push that to your TV (second display).

3. savatagecm

savatagecm New Member

Cool, TY. I did it another way but starting it as GM on my desktop and then joining as guest on laptop to mp desktop IP. I'll try your suggestion soon. It worked my way just so I can see how the FOW works and was really impressed. I do have another question.... I want to do the FOW with the removable roofs? I have a map I imported but they don't have roofs so do I need to make them? How would I do that? Or do I need the maps to have roofs on them?

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, using two computers would also be a good way to control what's seen by the players. It's actually easier to setup that way if you have access to the GM/Host desktop computer and the players have access to the Player laptop computer. :)

You can always make your own roof using an image found via google "roof pattern" then shape it a little to add shadows and perspective warp so it looks good then import the image and place it on the map over the section you wish to cover. Or, if you something quicker, you can always look for nice roofs on maps then extract just the roof using your graphic editing software and place that on the map, then size it correctly.

Here's what I found at deviantart, using a google image search:
    [​IMG]

Another roof I found on dundjinni.com forums, using a google image search:
    [​IMG]

Now of course, we should change the JPG to PNG so we can select the white background and delete it so it turns transparent using your graphic editing software. Then import the image in Manage Tiles, and place it, then size it appropriately, rotate if needed.

Then the roofs become your Fog of War for. You can see an example of this:
    [youtube]T-SplTr_CPk[/youtube]

5. savatagecm

savatagecm New Member

OK, I'll give it a try thanks..

6. savatagecm

savatagecm New Member

OK, I got the roof imported but not sure how to place it and rotate it correctly, when i place it it only fills one square? Not sure how I would make it a layer in the FOW screen..

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Using the Manage Tiles function we can control+click to place a tile, then we can select that tile and use either the context-menu (right-click) or the dimensions in the Manage Tiles window to change the dimensions. Or you can use quick keys to make the selected tile grow longer (control+right arrow key) or taller (control+down arrow key). Rotate ( left square bracket "[" or right square bracket "]" to rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise or clockwise respectfully).

8. savatagecm

savatagecm New Member

Awesome, thanks.. Will give it a try tonight... So far I'm liking the software. I really just want to use it for the maps display function. We want to get a 50" TV and build it into our current or make a new table for our group to use it for maps. After 30 years of drawing maps I'm getting tired of it and would love to just display them...

9. savatagecm

savatagecm New Member

OK, that worked great thanks.

10. savatagecm

savatagecm New Member

Now that I got that down, I've been reading a lot about animated GIFS but all the links I click on are dead. How is this done? Would love to put animated gifs on the map to show where AOE lingering spells are.

11. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member