1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Game Log

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by crtrice, May 13, 2013.

1. crtrice

crtrice New Member

I may have missed something in the forums. I am surprised this issue hasn't come up yet.
    I am trying to run a game on a server that my players are able to log into, post there moves and log out. In this way everyone doesn't have to be online at the same time in order to play. In setting this up I have discovered that the game log/chat for the players, only shows what is posted to the log/chat window when that player is online. This makes it impossible to leave messages for players, for players to chat whith each other, and for players to be aware of what each other are doing. I have gotten around this by creating makers to the side of the map that I copy info from the game console into. This, however, is time intensive and it would be nice if the log/chat/game window was persistent and broadcasted to players when they connected.

2. Entola

Entola Member

The only way I can think of to do this is to have all the players download their own client and log in that way.

3. crtrice

crtrice New Member

When you say client, do you mean that they need to have a full license?

4. Entola

Entola Member

There is couple ways to accomplish this. 1. They could purchase a player license, I think it's something like $10 or 2. You can purchase a Judge license. They come with a limited number of Guest licenses, but since you are playing a drop in game you could probable get away with a 2 guest seat license. You would even be able to give players access to their tokens and they would be able to actually make their combat moves on their turn. This may have issues, but if you set up the options to allow for the attacks to resolve without your interaction they would be able to make their attacks and see the resolution before they leave the game.

5. Entola

Entola Member

You could even leave it in combat mode to allow them to move as a group, with the fog of war you would be able to section off the maps so that they would only be able to enter the next room when you are ready for them to make that move.

6. ChrisRevocateur

Entola:

He's already doing all that. His issue isn't with letting people log in and move, it's that the game log only shows them what has been posted while they've been logged into the game, but they need the whole game log from before they log into the game so that they can have an idea of what has happened and what is currently happening.

Right now they just log in and see a bunch of creatures on the map, they have no idea the spells in effect, hell, they have no idea that the guy over there in the plate armor just casted Fireball at the party during his turn, since the damage is already done before the player logs in.

7. Entola

Entola Member

Opps, I really need to learn how to read :). I've only ran the game as the judge so my game log saves throughout.

8. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

he could post the log for other to read, it is saved as an html file in the d20pro directory tree...