1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

General Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by duncarager, Mar 11, 2011.

1. duncarager

duncarager New Member

Greetings,

Just two questions about your very sweet looking software...

1. Is there any way to "parse" items, spells, creatures, etc. from commercial content? Or does one have to manually enter it? I understand that there is a sub forum for user-generated content, but was curious about other possibilities.

2. Are there plans to implement a more permanent 4e module in the future?

Was just messing with the software, so I'll add a few more specific questions:

3. Can you move the position of the map so that it isn't centered?

4. When its a player's move, and he decides to move his character, does the judge need to approve that move before it happens, or can the player just move willy-nilly?

5. When an attack roll is made against an enemy, does the system automatically do the math with regard to the attack roll vs. AC or whatever stat?

6. Are the calculations, say for initiative, ever explicit? Meaning, can I know for a fact that my ranger's reflex modifier is being calculated in to his initiative roll, or is it ll behind the scenes?

7. When a PC talks, is there a way to make a bubble come from his token on the map? I seem to recall seeing an image of that...

8. I've noticed that when I attack an enemy, it shows the roll versus the target's AC or whatever, and then allows you to choose whether or not you hit or registered a critical or missed... that's nice, because it allows for flexibility, however, does everybody see this action sequence? Am I just given the option because I am the judge right now, or do the players each get to manually register their hits and misses? That concerns me a little bit just because my players tend to be highly chaotic... not trustworthy if you know what I mean...

9. With regard to the spell system, how do I access a characters spell library for creation and editing?

(If these questions seem easily solvable, they probably are, im just playing by myself right now and don't have a guest account from which to test these things... and if i can solve them without a guest account, my apologies)

Thanks so much!

DR

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Greetings Duncarager!

Here's my quick version to answer your initial questions. If anyone else in the community would like to add to any of these answers please do! :) Or, to comment on how "short" this post is comparatively to my others. :p

1. Most people manually enter the data, or use Hero Lab for the PC/NPC/Enemies, then modify the characters after for customization.

2. WotC has a restriction being if 4e offered it can -only- support 4e, thus 4e support in d20Pro is community based. However, 4e generation of characters though WotC's online resources may once again be used to export into a usable file type d20Pro can use. However, this would mean that they will need an export option.

3. Yes, you can click-drag on the map to move it to your hearts desire. You can use the scroll wheel to zoom in and out. And there are other ways.

4. In "Combat Mode" players can move their character and an outline of how they moved is displayed to everyone (the Player or the Judge can cancel the move to start over). In "Free Mode" players can move their characters anywhere on the map they want.

5. As long as you have attacks and AC setup, d20Pro will automatically handle this. Gray roll result indicates a possible miss, a red roll result indicates a possible hit, a red roll outlined in red indicates a possible critical. The GM/Judge has the final say regardless of what is rolled.

If you have any additional or follow-up questions please reply to this post (if you edit your initial post, I may not notice a difference :p ) Also, when I have time, I may go into more detail about each answer.

3. duncarager

duncarager New Member

Edward,

Thanks a lot those answers are very helpful. I did edit my post, and have a few more questions.

Thanks,

DR

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

After you open up d20Pro using the Judge login. Try opening up another instance of d20Pro and choose Guest login, using the server address of 127.0.0.1

other answers include: yes, clicking character then pressing "T", and selecting "inert" when casting the spell to bring up an effects window where you can either load or save an effect. Please post questions below in a new post - scrolling and rereading the entire message makes it hard to track.

5. duncarager

duncarager New Member

6. Are the calculations, say for initiative, ever explicit? Meaning, can I know for a fact that my ranger's reflex modifier is being calculated in to his initiative roll, or is it ll behind the scenes?

7. When a PC talks, is there a way to make a bubble come from his token on the map? I seem to recall seeing an image of that...

8. I've noticed that when I attack an enemy, it shows the roll versus the target's AC or whatever, and then allows you to choose whether or not you hit or registered a critical or missed... that's nice, because it allows for flexibility, however, does everybody see this action sequence? Am I just given the option because I am the judge right now, or do the players each get to manually register their hits and misses? That concerns me a little bit just because my players tend to be highly chaotic... not trustworthy if you know what I mean...

9. With regard to the spell system, how do I access a characters spell library for creation and editing?

(If these questions seem easily solvable, they probably are, im just playing by myself right now and don't have a guest account from which to test these things... and if i can solve them without a guest account, my apologies)

Thanks so much!

DR

6. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Someone else will have to answer questions 6 and 7.

6. I would actually like to know the answer to this as well.

7. No idea.

8. Only the judge sees that window. The judge determines the results of all attack rolls--hit, miss, or critical. However, you still need to be careful. The players can add their own bonuses and such when attacking. It's up to you to check out the bonuses they've entered, if any, and adjust the results if necessary.

9. Right-click on the character's avatar, select Edit, then go to the Spells tab. Or select the avatar and press E.

7. duncarager

duncarager New Member

Piggy backing on questin 6, is there some sort of documentation for what is automated and calculated, and what is not? For instance, I guess initiative is automated, whereas effects are not? Is that correct? As in, if I set the status of a baddie to be dazed, he isn't automatically assigned -2 to his attack roll (or whatever effect dazed has), right? That needs to be manually tallied?

Additionally, are save throws ever automated?

Again, the basic question is where can I see documentation for what is and what is not calculated by the system.

Thanks so much!!!

DR

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Initiative: Auto-calculated using 1D20 + DEX modifier + Improved Initiative feat (if any). If the creature has more abilities to allow them to react quicker Enable the "Init Override" feature and place the new total bonus to initiative.

Effects: Automated when you assign bonuses or penalties with a duration. Duration is based on game time (time listed on the bottom of the d20Pro window), where each round lasts 6 seconds. You can see effects affecting each creature by hovering over the creature token and it will list on the bottom, OR you can view effects in the character mini, OR you can view all effects from the effects window (d20Pro Menu > Active Effects).

Yes. Make sure each creature has the appropriate bonuses for Fort/Ref/Will saves and include a DC for a spell/effect. The DM will be able to see the automated results after the player submits the spell/effect and the DM approves the action. You will see an astrix(*) on each mini token in the creatures affected section. A red astrix indicates that creature failed the save. A green astrix indicates that creature passed the save.

If you want to roll yourself and apply it manually, you can do this too.. simply click on the affected targets space and you can move the creature from pass > fail OR from fail > pass.

Basically everything in combat can be automated and calculated by d20Pro with the exception of contested rolls (where multiple creatures need to roll during one creature's turn to determine hit/miss or effects based on the difference of the roll).

Select the creature > press "T" > type in what you want them to say, yell, wispier, or emote then press the appropriate button. This will be displayed in the game log.

This is only for the DM to see and approve damage. Only after you select the result will the player be notified of your selection.

Quickest way to access your spell/effect library for creation and edits would be...
    • Select a creature on the map.
    • Right-Click on the creature.
    • Goto: Abilities > At Will > spontaneous ability
    • You will see "Use Special Ability" in the "Decision" Window.
    • Click on "inert" besides the "effect" label.
    • Edit all fields you wish to include in that one effect.
    • Save, then create a name and press the green checkmark.
    • (note: currently the duration and Save DC will not be saved with the effect - this may change in a future version)
    • (other note: whatever text you place in the "Description" will be displayed in the "Active Effects" Window

IF you want a visual representation of any procedure please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

9. duncarager

duncarager New Member

Edward,

Thank you very much, these answers are extremely helpful... I appreciate you taking the time to look at my questions.

I am getting an old group of players together (who are now very far apart), and I'm super excited about our prospects using this software. It seems like this is a great community, and I can't wait to be apart of it!

Thanks again,

DR

10. ganbor

ganbor New Member

Am I just doing something wrong, or does it not save bonus types either? Every time I try to load a saved effect, it's reverted to unnamed bonuses... Saving effects seems a little... useless... if I have to edit half the fields every time anyway!

11. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Im assuming you're talking about spells. After saving, it remains so, but you have to manually "Load" the save for it to fill in the rest of the details. The load button is towards the top right of the box when you first go to enter in information about a spell.

Special Abilities you add to monsters are always saved the way you enterthem.

12. ganbor

ganbor New Member

Right, but here's an example - I code Bull's Strength as a +4 Str (enhance), save. Go back in, select Bull's Strength, load... and it's +4 Str (unnamed) instead!

13. Dragonmaster13

Just tried the example and he is right. The program doesn't lock-down the bonus type. So, if the bonus type isn't being locked down, stacking rules don't really work with pre-made effects.

14. ogexam

ogexam Member

Ut oh, that is not good.

I will look into it asap. They use to save.

hmmmmm

15. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met,

Woah, this is definitely an issue with Save/Load on Effects! :oops:

This has been reproduced in house and will be fixed with v2.4.