1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

GM + 1 External Player PC w display

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by templar12, Sep 6, 2010.

1. templar12

templar12 Member

Question: To set up the GM + 1 External Player PC w display, er, "Augmented Tabletop," is connection to internet needed?
    (Similar to how you had at Origins in '09, which, btw, really helped sell the game.) I ask because my local gaming store manager is interested, and he has a lot of meet-ups, and what better way to grow my gaming group, and help you sell more licenses!!! To do a demo, he has no wireless in the store.
    I have a laptop, a second laptop for players and av display. Before I start setting all up and tooling w/ it...I thought I'd ask.

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

You could do it with an Ethernet (wired) connection. Just make sure that each PC is a node address on the same network.

It can be done with a single "crossover" type cable; or you can do it conventionally by incorporating a small hub. The second method being the only way to communicate between more than 2 machines.

3. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Thurgian's suggestions are spot on and no, there is no need for a 'Net connection in the setup you're talking about.

4. Fkewlb

Fkewlb New Member

Just make sure you create the GM account when you have internet access first,

once created, you can use it without internet.

5. templar12

templar12 Member

Thanks! I'll try out your recommendations!! I have an ethernet cable begging for use!

6. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Just a word of warning.

Most cables, that people just happen to have, are "straight-through" versions. Designed to connect the computer to the hub. A cable of this sort will not work for connecting a computer directly to another computer.

A "crossover" cable is required in those situations where you want to directly connect two computers.

7. templar12

templar12 Member

Thanks! Actually, I didn't even get to breaking that out. I just took my wireless router, unplugged internet source, logged both computers on to its internet-less network , then used my Judge computer Local IP address assigned for the other laptop for Player sign in....
    Pretty easy. Will need to take a powerstrip to plug all in....

8. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Nice to see you found an easy solution.

Something I should have added earlier (and is a moot point now) is the fact that if all of the machines involved have Wireless capabilities, you can (usually) setup Adhoc wireless networks (IE the two machines talk directly, without going through a router/access point).