1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Good size for maps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daeruin, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Does anyone have advice on the most optimal size for maps? I have a bunch of maps I found for free online, but they vary quite widely in size and resolution. One time I picked a big map (don't remember the exact file size) and it pretty much locked up the game for 5 minutes when I broadcast it to the players. Other times the maps will look crappy when you zoom out or in.

So what size and resolution have you found to be the most optimal when playing in d20pro? What about file type?

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

It's all a numbers game based on your internet connection's up speed. You can test it http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?java=1. With some math you can figure out how much time it will take for all your players to download the map from you with any size map.

I typically use PNG and JPG maps that are less than 5MB in file size, with each square being around 50x50 pixels. Based on my connectivity it takes under two minutes for all six of my players to load the map. And two minutes of talking or describing the next scene is pretty easy.
    (math: 5MB = 42 mbits / 3mbps * 6 players = 84 seconds)

3. neofax

neofax New Member

I like maps that are at least 300dpi at 50x50 pixels per square any smaller and they become pixelated. I try to avoid maps that are higher than 900dpi at 50x50 pixels per square, but I used a 21mb file that was like 1200dpi and it worked. It took forever to load and it was the main map being that it was the marketplace of a underground city. You can always take a higher resolution map and bring the resolution down to make the bandwidth hit lighter. My best advice would be to talk to the peopl over on the Cartographers Guild website as they do this for fun and know a lot more than I about the subject.

4. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

OK, thanks guys. That gives me a pretty good idea. I found the map I used last time, and it was only about 500KB. I don't know why it locked up the game like that. Everyone was sitting around with hourglasses next to their names for what felt like forever. I didn't actually time it; maybe it only felt like 5 minutes because I wasn't prepared. :D My internet connection is quite fast, I think it's 12Mbits/sec download, not sure about the upload speed but probably less. I don't know about the players' download speeds, but maybe that's where the bottleneck was. I'm going to try a map about half that size tonight. It looks pretty decent even zoomed in, so we'll see how it goes.