1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[Guide] Connection Issues? Read this first.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edwardcd, Jan 11, 2011.

1. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Gather Some Information
    • Open d20Pro as administrator, click on Judge, then start d20Pro server by clicking the green check mark.
    • Click the d20Pro Menu icon and select Options.
      [​IMG]
    • Click on Judge in the Options Window.
      [​IMG]
    • Click on "What is my IP Address" button in the Judge's section of the Options Window.
      [​IMG]
    • Write both the Public and Private IP (Local IP) Addresses down.
      [​IMG]

Enable Port Forwarding on your Router
    Ensure your router is configured correctly to forward port 10101 to your computer running d20Pro. For details on how to use port forwarding feature on your specific router visit: http://portforward.com/ Then select your router make and model from the list on the website, skip the advertisement, then click on "Default Guide" and follow along.

TCP and UDP using port 10101
    Forward to your Private IP (Local IP) Address

After the router restarts...
    1) Load d20Pro, enter as Judge, click on "Advanced" to ensure the port you are using is 10101, then click the green check mark to start your d20Pro server.
    2) Goto http://www.canyouseeme.org
    3) See if port 10101 is accessible from the internet

IF you get "Success: I can see your service on ... on port (10101)." Enjoy using d20Pro!

IF you get "Error: I could not see your service on ... on port (10101). Reason: Connection timed out." continue with the next part of this guide.

Windows Firewall Program Exceptions (d20Pro AND Java)
    • 1. Open Windows Firewall... Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Security, then click Windows Firewall.
      [​IMG]
    • 2. Click Allow a program through Windows Firewall (If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
      [​IMG]
    • 3. Then select the check box next to d20Pro, and click OK. If d20Pro is not in the list, click Allow another program... then select d20Pro from the list and ensure both private an public settings are set, then click OK. Do the same for Java.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      Java location in Windows (32-bit OS): C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe
      Java location in Windows (64-bit OS): C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

After the computer restarts...
    1) Load d20Pro, enter as Judge, click on "Advanced" to ensure the port you are using is 10101, then click the green check mark to start your d20Pro server.

IF you get "Success: I can see your service on ... on port (10101)." Enjoy using d20Pro!

IF you get "Error: I could not see your service on ... on port (10101). Reason: Connection timed out." continue with the next part of this guide.

Windows Firewall Port Exceptions
    Open a port in Windows Firewall. Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Secuirty, then click Windows Firewall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Click Add port. In the Name box, type "port 10101". In the Port Number box, type "10101" Click TCP. Click Change Scope and set to both public and private. Click OK and click OK.

Alternatively this can be done in Advanced Settings
    [​IMG]
    clicking Inbound Rules
    [​IMG]
    then right-click New Rule
    [​IMG]
    click Port, click Next
    [​IMG]
    click TCP, enter the specific local ports as "10101", click Next
    [​IMG]
    Allow the Connection, click Next
    [​IMG]
    select Domain Private and Public, click Next
    [​IMG]
    Name the rule "TCP port 10101"
    [​IMG]
    click Finish
    [​IMG]
    For good measure create another one using "UDP port 10101".

Allow Exceptions in 3rd-Party Anti-Virus or Internet Security Software
    Norton AntiVirus : http://techgenie.com/latest/how-to-open ... antivirus/
    Trend Micro's Titanium Internet Security Software : http://esupport.trendmicro.com/3/How-do ... 38233.aspx

Norton Internet Security
    • Go to (in NIS2011) Settings > Internet Settings > Smart Firewall > Advanced Settings > General Rules > Add.
    • Select ADD and next.
    • Select "to and from" and next.
    • Select "any computer" and next.
    • Select "TCP and UDP" and "Only the ports and ....." and "Add".
    • Select "Individual ports", select "Local" and type in 10101" and click OK.
    • Click Next, Next, type in a rule name and click Next.
    • Click "Finish"

ZoneAlarm Firewall
    • Open the ZoneAlarm software. If you are using the entire security suite, instead of just the ZoneAlarm firewall, click the "Firewall" tab.
    • Click "Trusted Zone" and choose "Custom." Click the "Incoming TCP Port" radio button. Scroll down to the ports text box and type the default or all d20Pro port(s) you want to use separated by a comma if using more than one. The text box should read "10101"
    • Click "Apply" and "OK." Navigate to the "Internet Zone" tab and click "Custom." Repeat the process of adding the port numbers in the port text box.

Comodo Firewall
    • Open the Comodo Internet Security software and click the "Firewall" button at the top of the screen. Navigate to the "Advanced" tab at the left end of the window.
    • Click the "Network Security Policy" link. Navigate to "Global Rules" and choose "Add." Choose "Allow." Click the "TCP" radio button and choose the "Incoming" option.
    • Type "10101" in the "Destination Port" text box and choose "OK."

Other firewall programs may use different methods for opening the port needed for d20Pro. Check your firewall's documentation or support website for specific details.

Advanced/Computer Tech Level Support Below...
    Note: Using the steps provided below can result in unfavorable results if performed carelessly, please do not attempt these until all other avenues are throughly investigated.

Note: Only use this next guide if you have exhausted the previous four actions:
    Reset "hosts" file

The "hosts" file may be blocking the applications to access Internet:

Find your hosts file. The hosts file is normally found in the following locations:
    Windows: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC.

1. Select the hosts file. Then click the Edit menu, and choose Copy.
    2. Then, click the Edit menu again, and choose Paste. There should now be a duplicate of the hosts file named "Copy of hosts".
    3. Drag the original hosts file to your desktop.
    4. Drag the "hosts - Copy" file to your desktop. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.
    5. Right-click the "hosts - Copy" file that is on the desktop, and choose Open. You may be prompted to choose the program you want to use to open this file. Double-click Notepad.
    6. When Notepad opens, click the Edit menu, and choose Select All. Then click the Edit menu again, and choose Delete.
    7. Click File menu, and choose Save. Close Notepad.
    8. Drag the "hosts -Copy" file from your desktop back into the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc folder. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.
    9. Right-click the "hosts - Copy" file you just moved, and choose Rename. Type "hosts" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    10. Restart your computer and try connecting to the applications.

Note: Only use this next guide if you have exhausted the previous five actions:
    Perform a clean boot

• Step 1
    • a. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
    • b. Click Start, type "msconfig.exe" in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration utility.
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
      [​IMG]
    • c. On the General tab, click to select the option Selective startup, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
      [​IMG]
    • d. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
      [​IMG]
      Note: Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
    • e. Click OK, and then click Restart.

IF you get "Error: I could not see your service on ... on port (10101). Reason: Connection timed out." this means one of your Microsoft startup services is causing the issue. To fix this issue you must backup all data you want to keep, completely reformat your hard drive, reinstall windows and any programs you use, and restore your backup files.

IF you get "Success: I can see your service on ... on port (10101)" this means one of your non-Microsoft startup services is causing the issue. Lets find out which one...

• Step 2: Enable half of the services
    • a. Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.
    • b. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
    • c. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.
    • d. Click OK, and then click Restart.

• Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns
    • If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Service list.
    • If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
    • If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to step 4.

• Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items
    • a. Perform a clean boot by repeating step 1.
    • b. Click the Startup tab, and then click to select half of the check boxes in the Startup Item list.
    • c. Click OK, and then click Restart.
    • d. Repeat the d20Pro Judge steps and see if port 10101 is visible on http://www.canyouseeme.org .

• Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns
    • If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Startup Item list.
    • If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
    • If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.
    • If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

• Step 6: Resolve the problem
    • After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

• Step 7: Reset the computer to start as usual
      After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
    • a. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
    • b. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
    • c. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

14 Jan 2011 : Update - Added Java to list of allowed programs, this was omitted earlier since I thought Java was always allowed. In addition, changed order of last computer-tech level order of operation since hosts file reset is much easier to complete than performing a clean boot.

2. KahnB

KahnB New Member

Dear D20Pro Team

I am currently testing D20pro an I am really exicted about it.
    Today I started trying the connection with another computer. I followed the instructions, and may computer can be "seen" from the internet at my "remote IP".
    Using a second computer with d20pro on it, I tried to log in as a player. But I always get the message: "A judge server was not found at (Public IP) etc. etc."
    Firewall is "Avira Internet Security", d20pro is allowed to acces and receive from the internet (on both computers).
    Can you help, please?

Bernhard

Update: I solved it. As both computers where in the same network, I needed to use the local ip to connect to d20pro instead of the public IP.

3. raindropz

raindropz New Member

I tried to configure my router to enable port 10101 but it shows unable to open this particular post. I have tried many times to do this but always it shows error. Do you have any idea what it went wrong and how I can set the same. I have my payment processors running

Carol