1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Having problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SAbel, Sep 6, 2010.

1. SAbel

SAbel New Member

I have attempted twice now to run D20Pro as a trial version with no success. The one from this summer expired and the one I have now (different email address) will not let me log in (I would guess it has to deal with my IP address). I am mainly interested in using this for D&D4E I did not get a chance to sit down with you guys at GenCon, I have been a Hero Lab user for years now and like the ability to bring characters from HL right into the game (several of my players use HL already). I am looking for the ease of use and the abilities to run the game for my people that are living out of state to be able to still game as one group. If you could help me out that would be great, one of my players (he ives the furthers from everyone, hates technology a great deal and does not understand it well at all, so for his saftey :) We are looking for something that installs and runs with out much tweeking, due to distance it would not be possible for the rest of us to help him get set up. please let me know what all needs to be done or if your program is 4E ready to go after install.

Thank you for the help,

Sean

2. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Lets see what we can do about getting things working for you here. More information about any error messages you get and what operating system you're using would be helpful to troubleshoot this. What exactly is the problem you're having trying to get the software to run?

3. SAbel

SAbel New Member

Hey thanks you guys are fast :)
    I am running windows XP Home ed. Service pack 3, my system is a P4 3ghz w/ 3Gb of Ram

I make it to the launch player screen w/ alias up and Ip address I click the green check mark and get the following message.

Connection refused: connect.

I did have a trial version this summer (when I thought that I would have time but life kicked me in the "goods" so no time and I could not get pass this) I used a 2nd email to try again but I get the above when I make it to the load screen.
    Thank you for your help I understand if it b/c I tried once and the time expired, it will just keep me from deciding anytime soon.

Thank you again,

Sean

4. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

SAbel, I went ahead and sent you an email about this.

5. KainPen

KainPen Member

are you loading the GM client first ? or are you trying to join existing game. also make sure you have latest version of java installed.

6. Dan

Dan Member

Just to clarify: are you trying to host a game (Judge) or play in an existing game (Player)?

Have you taken a look at the Online Manual, specifically the section on getting started and launched?
    http://help.mindgene.com/tutorials/starting-d20pro

7. SAbel

SAbel New Member

I have the latest copy of Java, and the lastest release of D20Pro.
    I was attempting to log in as a player, but I was not joingin a game. I was under the thought of sign in and a list would show what games are running and I would then "join" one of them. So I am guessing I am pulling some kind of "ID 10 T" user error AKA idiot = me :) not the first or last time.
    I can make the Judge/GM work but its just me putzing around and messing with stuff so it not like a real game running.
    When I do the GM part it seems as though not all of 4E is working completely in the sytem ie how powers work or what they attack ect but again it may be just me.
    For Hero Lab characters to work I need to save them for D20Pro first then I can import them and for the DDI it just pulls in the toon.
    I am hoping that D&D 4E is easy to work with your system b/c that is the main game that we will be using this for.

Thank you for all your help,

8. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

SAbel, take a look in your inbox, I think we're on the way to getting things up and running for you.

9. KainPen

KainPen Member

SAbel, you may have to do some tweaking or set up on some things to get it to work correctly for 4.0 rules. everything should work. The GM client functions just like player expect with more options. try starting a gm client up. then run d20pro exe again and then start as player. you should be-able to join in and then see how the system works for player and gm.
    out the box or download d20pro is set up for 3.5 rules. all other rules sets require tweaking. i path finder and 4th edition have the least amount of tweaking that need to be done. I don't play 4th ed. and don't have hero labs so i never test the import functions. maybe some one will e-mail you already adjusted .txt files.

10. Dan

Dan Member

I should point out that d20pro doesn't run the games for you. It's a virtual tabletop tool, that's all. Watch the tutorials on the help site, specifically this one on setting up a map.
    [youtube]uTIxaMq8umE[/youtube]

You then run your game as you would at your tabletop. Place creatures when you want to start combat, and use the right-click menus on creatures to choose attacks, skills, or to modify/hurt/heal them.

d20pro has a ton of functionality so I suggest you read the manual to get a full understanding of the features: http://help.mindgene.com

You should check out the 4E page as well: http://help.mindgene.com/advanced/other-rulesets/4e-d-d

11. Edon1987

Edon1987 New Member

im having a problem logging in, the same as this guy even.

Error
    Connection refused: connect.

I cant login as a player on my trial, or as a guest, both give me the same issue. It allows me to login as a host just fine tho, the only game i can host is 3.5, not sure if thats normal but its not what im worried about right now (probably just not downloading something i need) but the error is an annoyance.

12. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

So Edon1987, you can start up a Judge client but cannot connect to it from either the same or another computer with a Player client, correct? Are you connecting over a local network or remotely?

13. Edon1987

Edon1987 New Member

correct, its over a local network. ive tried to open ports for it as well and im still getting the same problem.

just wanna play a game or 2 before i start tinkering with the host system. I got a new job so I cant really attend my college club (we have a table top gaming club) regularly anymore so i was hoping i could get this and pay for a few extra guest slots to run my games for the club. not to mention we have a few other DM's who might like to get this as well. We have been using another program but the interface is kinda hard to grasp and its not as powerful as this one looks.

14. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

OK, if you're connecting over a local network you're probably better off using the local IP of the computer running the judge client instead of opening ports on the router and using the external IP. If you want to run the Judge and Player client on the same machine to try and eliminate problems then you can use 127.0.0.1 as the IP to connect to.

The next thing you'll want to do is check to make sure that there are no software firewalls (something like zonealarm) and nothing with the anti-virus running on the computer with the Judge client that might be blocking incoming communication.

If you are using two different computers then you also need to make sure that they are both running the same version of d20Pro.