1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Hello Everyone! A question (or two, actually ...)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Happytime, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Happytime

Happytime New Member

Heya Folks! "Happytime" here (I go by "Andy" most of the time in the "real world"/meatspace) and I've a few quick questions.

I hope you'll accept my pardon for complete noobness, and I'd like to thank anyone that takes the time to offer a response / provide some help.

I just snagged and installed a copy of d20Pro here on my computer (a 2.8 GHz Intel i7 iMac). I've Mac OS X 10.6.6 as my primary (and preferred) OS, but I've a copy of Parallels Desktop running XP Service Pack 3. My long-term goal is to (eventually) run some flavor of VTT so I can GM some fun Pathfinder action over the interwebz.

I'm just to the point where I'm installing / testing / trialing various applications. After a bit of research, I'll be spending some time with the d20Pro application and seeing how it works for and with me. I'd like to thank the folks that have developed and are offering this; it looks pretty powerful, and I'm willing to invest the time I need to to get a feel for the software.

I've spent a bit of time here on the forums, and see the devs and the community's pretty quick to answer questions. I'd like to "dive right in" to the program and mess about, but I've already hit a couple of questions.

• I'm just going to be using Pathfinder. So after a bit of snooping around a bit, I found the Pathfinder Ruleset, which is what I'm after, but I don't see anything like (or near) the described path ...

d20pro\judge\campaign\____\res\manually specified folder

... on my computer. I'm not sure what I'm missing (or not doing right).
    • This post here provided me a great deal of insight, but left me with more than a few questions too. Looks like Bigkilla's done a metric f*beep*-ton of work formatting up the Pathfinder Bestiary.

Once you all help me figure out how to get the Pathfinder Ruleset installed, how'd I go about getting this working?

Regards, and have fun!

-- Happytime

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

You need to crate a new campaign in the campaign folder for pathfinder.

Which version of d20Pro did you snag? The latest has a feature to create a new camapaign folder then you can put in the manually specificed files.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Andy!

• Since you have stated you will only be running a Pathfinder game I would goto this directory...
      d20Pro\judge\campaigns\
    • Find "D&D 3.5 OGL" and rename it to "Pathfinder OGL"
    • Then, goto the following directory...
      d20Pro\judge\campaigns\Pathfinder OGL\res\ManuallySpecified
    • Delete the following:
      classes.txt
      feats.txt
      skill.txt
      spells.txt
    • Now, move the Pathfinder ruleset into the same directory and bam! You now can open d20Pro and use the Pathfinder ruleset.

• Download the file "Pathfinder%047Bestiary 50x50.d20_map" (115MB).
    • Open d20Pro.
    • Goto: d20Pro Menu > Library > Map Library (second button on the top).
    • Press the "Import" button on the bottom (second button on the bottom).
    • Find the location you saved "Pathfinder%047Bestiary 50x50.d20_map" then select it.
    • Press "Import."

At this point d20Pro will take some time to copy all the data inside "Pathfinder%047Bestiary 50x50.d20_map" and place them inside the Pathfinder directory regarding the map only. After this is done, confirm you wish to open the imported map by clicking the green check-mark. Once the map is open use your mouse to select all using the click-drag method for a big box that includes all the creatures on the map. Once all the creatures are selected, Control+Click (or if you have a mouse that has left and right button: right-click). This brings up a dialog window with some options. Select Location > Save Creature. Then confirm that you wish to save each creature to your Creature Library. After this process is complete you can view all your creatures inside the Library > Creature Library window.

Enjoy!

4. Happytime

Happytime New Member

I appreciate the responses, and I'm making headway!

I got so aggravated I couldn't find the directories you folks were describing to me that I was ready to just give up and install d20Pro under Windows ... that I did some very, very fundamental searches.

Turns out the Mac OS has some super-double-sneaky tricks up its sleeve. I was searching and looking for directories and locations on my computer that are carefully "packaged" inside what "looks like" a program or application.

With just one icon / entry. In other words, what looked to me like a "PROGRAM" icon was "really" a folder (that just happened to include the program I want to run ...). :shock:

ogexam, you told me I needed to create a new "Campaign Folder." I did, and paid close attention to the dialog.

My computer displayed,
    It was that ".app" extension that helped me figure out what "my problem" was. All the directories and what-not are INSIDE what looks to me as just "any old program ... nothing going on here, just click me and I'll run your application." :lol:

Curtis, thanks for your instructions and help. I'll report back once I get this working.

'cause ... I WILL get this working (as long as you folks are willing to give me a helping hand, now and again!).

-- Andy

5. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, I could have saved you some trouble! I am also running d20pro on a Mac, and I remember finally figuring out that the app was actually a folder. Just right click and choose "Show package contents."

Curtis's directions are good, but personally I chose to leave the DnD 3.5 folder alone and create a new one for Pathfinder. I just duplicated the 3.5 folder, then put the Pathfinder files into the new folder. I just didn't like the idea of changing stuff that was already there. What if I want to run a 3.5 game one day? So I just have two folders instead of one. If you do that, you'll have the option of which folder to choose when you run d20pro.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

OR option+click

This should be added to http://help.d20pro.com under the "Rules Replacement Section" in 4E, Pathfinder, and any new section with another ruleset.

7. Happytime

Happytime New Member

Casts "Resurrection"

Thanks Daeruin and Curtis! (I'm hoping over a year's not too long a time to take to say "thank you" when folks help!) :)

I'm about to purchase a copy of d20Pro (funny ... after over a year my trial's expired! :oops: ), and I'm sure I'll have some more questions once I fiddle with it a bit.

Curtis, I spent quite a bit of time yesterday afternoon going through the d20Pro v3.1 User Guide and I was really impressed with how much work's gone into it. Do you know who manages it?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to firing up d20Pro and checking out version 3.1!

I'm sure I'll have some more noobly questions, so thanks ahead of time for putting up with them.

Regards,

-- Andy

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Re: Casts "Resurrection"

Good to see you back Andy! And, v3.2 is pretty close to being done too with some enhanced features.

Though, to answer your question about the user guide, I've updated the old user guide (2.x) to the new 3.x version. In the weeks following the v3.2 release there will be even more documentation. The newer documentation will go more into depth of some topics and will include a quick-tour for those people who are new to the VTT world (and to answer the question: "I've downloaded the app and see a blank screen...now what?")

9. Happytime

Happytime New Member

Curtis,

I actually worked through all the "year-old" instructions to set up my d20Pro install for Pathfinder (and install Bigkilla's Bestiary 1 map) yesterday, so I'm making good progress.

I'd watched this video and was a bit concerned about my OS X Java install needing more memory (I've had to jack with Java's memory once or twice before under OSX and it'd more "under-the-hood" than I like to get), but things went fine.

Today I'm walking myself through some more of the user guide, paying close attention to where d20Pro parks my resources as I work on them.

Thanks again for your help.

-- Andy