1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Help, d20pro crashed and now everything i had running in a c

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mahhand, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mahhand

mahhand Member

I desperately hope there is a fix for this, I was working on a current battle for my d20pro session when i decided to use the alter change image feature for a figure. when i selected it and went to change the figure, it just hanged there. after 5 mins i had to close the app and restart it. when i did, my map and all of the figures in the roster and on the map are gone. how do i load the saved game file or restore my encounter? many of the figures were players i had done a lot of work on and have yet to save them to the creature libary. please please help some one pls.

thanks

2. mahhand

mahhand Member

Re: Help, d20pro crashed and now everything i had running in

:( I am starting to think that there isn't a way for me to recover my current encounter as no one has posted anything here...? This is gonna be painful :(((

at least I have the game log still with all the blow by blow details. If anyone has any idea's on a way to restore my game state I will be ever so grateful to you!!

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Re: Help, d20pro crashed and now everything i had running in

There isn't a way to recover from a crash if the files were not already saved. d20Pro writes the current game state upon closing, and if the application is forced quit or computer experiences a crash when this happens the current game state becomes corrupt and next time d20Pro opens it'll create a new blank game state.

I've been there by not saving the map the players are on and had to estimate two game sessions, and I've been there creating map and fog of war and everything on the map without saving for 2 hours of prep work. At least there's an easier way to save progress now with 3.3.4.

4. DarthKurt

DarthKurt New Member

Same thing happened to us TWICE.

I have been doing a Quick Save every few minutes, but when the game crashed, ALL is lost, Map and Roster are GONE and I am unable to restore from a Quick Save.

WHY CAN I NOT RELOAD FROM A SAVED FILE ?

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

one of the devs might be able to help with a bit more info.. can you send (attach) the error log?

6. DarthKurt

DarthKurt New Member

We ended up using the FreeFolderSynch trick to make copies of the d20pro campaign folder every few minutes.

I still do not understand why we cannot restore from a saved backup. I mean really, what's the point of the QuickSave if you cannot Load a Saved File ? And why no Hot Key ? I should be able to hit Ctrl+S to Save.

I did end up increasing the Java Memory to 4096 and that seems to have helped the stability "a little bit"... but wow I think you have some serious issues to work out here. You have a really nice product and it can do a lot, but if it's not stable and able to save files and load files reliably then I am not seeing this as a viable solution until these things and the stability/crashes are addressed.

Please put the Save/Save As and Load Functions High on the priority list.

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Could you post the crash log fro d20pro and/or the system report log when the crash happened, it would help to be able to see what happened.. My wife and I have been running dueling GM sessions for like the last 2 years and neither of us has ever seen d20pro crash (win7 and win8).. it's been my experience to be extremely stable...

if you've seen a crash, we'd really like a chance at seeing the logs..

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello DarthKurt,

Most likely this is due to misconfiguration of Java, however, we can help diagnose the issue if you supply more meaningful information. We will need to know your computer configuration, OS, Java version, d20Pro version, steps you take for error to occur, and the log file. If it is a defect we will need to be able to reproduce the steps on our test environments. The original poster's issue was resolved over two years ago over Skype.

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Hey Curtis, we should talk to Mat, and have this included in the standard download.. perhaps, have Mat add an option to turn it or off, if the current issue with it not being included is memory or the like..