1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hero Lab import files (errors)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Krilion_GD, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Krilion_GD

Krilion_GD Community Manager
    Staff Member

If you have HL import por files that have shown errors coming into D20PRO, please post them to the forums here for me.

upload_2018-3-25_23-7-24.png

kimco likes this.
  2. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met,

I found some spare time in a l00t box and will be spending it on the HLN (Hero Lab Native) importer. With the community's support, I expect it to be at 95%+ in a short while.

Also, if you are sensitive to random people scoping your HL Ports (If my GM posted a .por containing upcoming NPCs, there is no way I'd look. No way!) then I'm sure it's OK to email or DM them as well.

3. firebringer

firebringer Member

@ Krilion & Thraxxis: WOOOOT so glad to see the native importer getting some love!

2 .por files attached. If you can get everything in this one to match what the numbers show in HL, you've got my vote!

These two have examples of small, medium, large, and huge creatures. Size modifiers to attacks being doubled was one of the problems with the native importer.

Importing the wrong image for the creature, or no image at all, was another problem.

Saving throws have been off significantly for basically every creature imported.

Attacks modifiers were basically doubled from HL said they should be.

Non-standard attributes weren't correctly being applied to attacks. For example, with the Weapon Finesse feat, attacks are still importing as using STR for attacks, instead of DEX, which it should be using.

Also threat ranges for weapons were off, usually for weapons that have 18-20 threat ranges, or other non standard ranges, like scimitars and kukris.

Also, and this one is weird, when a magic weapon is imported, with 'magic' as the first type in its damage type list, then critical hits with the weapon don't actually do the correct multiples of damage. But, if you manually remove 'magic' from the damage type list and then add it after 'piercing'/'slashing'/'bludgeoning' it works. Strange stuff......

Hope this helps and thanks SO MUCH for giving the HL .por importer some attention!!!

Attached Files:

ncassella likes this.
  4. ncassella

ncassella Member

Thanks for looking into this one guys it's a huge functionality that I really like to use.
    Just as above the Images, attacks saves and mods in many if not all of the cases are messed up.

Take the Weedwhip and the Arboreal Grappler as an example of where the images got swapped with something else entirely
    upload_2018-3-28_10-21-59.png upload_2018-3-28_10-23-33.png

upload_2018-3-28_10-23-1.png
    upload_2018-3-28_10-24-19.png

Attached Files:

5. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met,

Good news in that the fix for the image issue is pushed.

And I'll continue to poach as many of the additional defects addressed as possible before 3.7.3 ships.

P.S. I've been gently lobbying Owlbear to let me post the HLN importer code as a standalone Git repo. I think an open-source approach will yield the best result, especially over the long term.

#5 thraxxis, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2018
  6. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Greetings,

I'm learning more about the new rules features that were adding during my sojourn. This will allow me to craft the importer appropriately to handle cases where the creature has an equipped item that boosts stats, thus impacting the Saving throw.

upload_2018-4-6_14-57-53.png

7. firebringer

firebringer Member

Thraxxis,

Getting the images and saving throws squared away is definitely a move in the right direction!

After that the attack modifiers and the weird magic damage type for weapons messing with crits, and the .por Importer will be looking WAY better!

Your efforts a very much appreciated!

8. ncassella

ncassella Member

Thanks for the hard work Thraxxis.

9. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Thanks firebringer, I think I have the HLN side for Saves working now for the stat boost situation. Though I'm seeing Ref saves off by +2 for some reason across the board. I pinged Owlbear about this and will discuss.

I'll move on to the attack mods and magic damage next.

10. firebringer

firebringer Member

Thraxxis,

Sounds like you’re making great progress! Interesting (and weird) about the +2 to reflex saves....

On a related note, have all the changes been limited to the .jar that contains the HLN code, or did you have to update other modules also?

I only ask because, in the past, the HLN jar could be released separately from the full build, which could be useful to get users beta testing it.

11. firebringer

firebringer Member

Thraxxis,

With the 3.7.2.13 beta, the only change I noticed with the HLN Importer was the fix for the incorrect or missing images.

The saving throws, attack mods and damage mods are still incorrect.

I’m going to put on my designer hat for a moment so tell me where I’m way off here:

One solution might be to mark a creature in the library with an ‘imported from xxx’ flag. When d20Pro sees this s flag on a creature, it “short circuits” the logic that calculates saves, attack mods, damage mods, skills, AC, etc.

Whatever statistics d20Pro found for the creature on import, it just takes as gospel and assigns to the creature, no further calculations applied.

This way, d20Pro isn’t re-calculating and re-adding the creature’s mods, which it appears to be doing now.

The flag would need to continue to be tracked in the creature’s library record so that the problem doesn’t re-occur the next time the creature’s record is opened and saved in the library.

Otherwise it seems like you’d just be chasing a million individual differences between what HL calculated for the creature, and what d20Pro calculated and then added on top of that.