1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Hero Lab Import question....

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by Knucklehead, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Importing a few PF pregens for use on a map.

Using Hero Lab d20pro with Pathfinder ruleset, exporting characters using d20pro export tool. The import works like a charm for weapons, damage, stats, skills (save languages) and it's all SUPER convenient.

Hero Lab exports every conceivable attack with every possible weapon, even arrows in your hand! It's kinda nutty to see a fighter with a few weapons have like 18 possible attacks, but the truly insane ones (dual wielding arrows, heh) is easy. Or keep them, you never know when you have to stab somebody with a crossbow bolt, right? :)

I ran into a snag again, though, with weapon damage type all defaulting to bludgeoning, creating the need to edit each damage type by hand. No big deal in case of a PC where you're probably double-checking carefully, but this is going to require a lot of proofing of NPC's or generic baddies I generate. Any chance of getting the Hero Labs folks to add the damage type entry to weapons when they're exporting?

Attached is a segment from the <attacks> element:

Code:
    <attack id='wLongsword' name='Longsword' attack='1' damage='1d8' critical='19-20/x2' multiattacks='no' class='onehanded' equipped='primary' melee='true' ranged='false' thrown='false' finesse='false'/>
          <attack id='wLongsword' name='Longsword (both hands)' attack='1' damage='1d8' critical='19-20/x2' multiattacks='no' class='onehanded' equipped='primary' melee='true' ranged='false' thrown='false' finesse='false'/>
          <attack id='wLongsword' name='Longsword (w/ off-hand)' attack='-3' damage='1d8' critical='19-20/x2' multiattacks='no' class='onehanded' equipped='primary' melee='true' ranged='false' thrown='false' finesse='false'/>
          <attack id='wLongsword' name='Longsword (w/ light off.)' attack='-1' damage='1d8' critical='19-20/x2' multiattacks='no' class='onehanded' equipped='primary' melee='true' ranged='false' thrown='false' finesse='false'/>
          <attack id='wLongsword' name='Longsword (off hand)' attack='-3' damage='1d8' critical='19-20/x2' multiattacks='no' class='onehanded' equipped='primary' melee='true' ranged='false' thrown='false' finesse='false'/>
    Also just noticed it exported the one described with "(both hands)" with a class='onehanded' attribute. I believe I also had to edit this to be a 2-H attack. Also attacks listed as "offhand" in their text description are imported listed as "1-H" in the creature sheet, instead of being listed as off-hand attacks.

Understandably, a weapon in the primary hand while dual-wielding would be something that would have to be handled by a text description (which the Hero Lab export does well) and the appropriate to-hit adjustment actually placed in the attack line, like it does with the "w/ off-hand" attack, unless somebody's up to keeping track of weapon equipped and slot state. :)

2. Dan

Dan Member

Thanks for the information. I've noted this and we'll try to address it soon.