1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Hide a Character

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yaourth, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

Just a little question... on my last session, i've two maps. The second one should be played optionally (depends of player choices) but i'd set it before the game with hidden NPC on the field.

Surprise : the hidden NPC are showed on the Roster :oops: So all players knows immediately how much NPC were on the module, it's very sad for me because it was an important plot. Ok, it's my fault, i'd not check the full roster before the game but i believed that hidden NPC on a hidden map were not showed.

Is there a method to remove completely token from the roster without remove them from the maps ? Or to hide token in the Roster ? The limbo is not really easy to use for that...

2. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Weird, on in my game if i have a monster or unit set to invisible it doesn't show on the players roster. I have to set them to visible and rebroadcast the map/info for the players to see it.

3. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Yaourth, invisible creatures should not show up in the Player's roster until they are made visible. I will try to reproduce this error myself. Can you verify for me what version you're running?

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

An invisible creature should not appear in the roster for the player that does not own that creature...

Do you think you may have accidently given ownership of the NPCs to the player computer?

5. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

I will try to re-do the situation as soon as possible but i'm sure of that : all NPC token were in hidden status (like an overlay on the map, with transparency) and all of them were in the roster for players... they said to me : "oh ! gwen, where are the five red guys ? I can't see them on the map..." :eek:

It's not a fow bug because all the map were shown. Only NPC were hidden and i'm sure i was the owner (player could not move them).

More shots tomorrow :)

6. Dan

Dan Member

Did you perhaps have another map open where they were not hidden? I'll restate: hidden creatures that the players don't own are not shown on the roster.

Another possibility: if you placed the creatures, then made them hidden (V key or right-click>alter>visibility), they don't immediately go invisible.

Reason: Visibility states of creatures, as well as fog of war or map changes, are not immediately broadcast to your players. You have to hit the Broadcast button (F5) to send that information. They may have seen the visible state.

7. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

Yes it was this situation... I've preset and open a map before gaming session with visible creatures. I believed the creatures were hidden but not... they were just on the other map.

So, is there a good reason to have, in the roster, all showed creatures on all maps and not only the active one ? It's not my first approach but may be it other player's one.

8. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi,

When you pull a creature from the library it is set to dynamic as a default (if they are behind fog of war, they are hidden, if they are not, they are shown). If you put the NPCs, on other maps, behind the FoW, they will not appear in the roster window.

And like Daniel stated, F5 (broadcast)... =), when in doubt, hit F5.

Best,

Nick

9. ogexam

ogexam Member

The reason you show all creatures on all maps if they are visible is because you can have a battle going on across multiple maps.
    Then the DM can switch between maps as that persons initiative comes up.

Think of a battle in a tower with multiple levels. You have the rogue sneaking in the top running into bad guy X while the rest of the PCs rush the front door to take on bad guys Y & Z. The DM had each level of the tower on a different map and with the ability to have multiple maps opened and everybody be in initative makes it possible for just that scenario.

10. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

Many thanks for all answers !! :)

11. Dan

Dan Member

I think the cleanest and simplest solution is to simply NOT have player able to see passive creatures in the Initiative Roster. Players only need the Roster for combat, unless I'm missing something, so why have the passive section?

What do you think? Do players need to see passive state creatures at all?

12. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

This goes "hand in hand" with my request to not allow players to see "mouse over" information for creatures they don't own.

IMO players should see only "Visible and Active combatants" in the roster; and only when both stipulations are met. (IE players have no business seeing where an undiscovered/invisible mob - is next up in initiative).

13. Dan

Dan Member

Again, unless there is a rare bug, invisible creatures do NOT show on the player roster.

14. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Well then, forget the 2nd part :)

I apparently was victim to early "failure to broadcast" syndrome; as my last few encounters have behaved as you describe ...

15. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

agree with you. Is it possible to have only active creatures in player's roster ?

16. Xansereg

Xansereg New Member

I agree, I find my players can see all the monsters I am using in the "Passive Roster", it would be very nice if I could hide this from them, and they dont exactly need it anyway. Luckily, I can trust my players not to take a peek (I hope :D )