1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

How to create a Class with the new versions?

Discussion in 'D&D 5th Edition' started by Wheels, Aug 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wheels

Wheels Member

Hello,

So i've been playing around with the new version 3.7.1 and would like to ask a few questions about build a new class.

I Understand you can now build more complex features (and even make templates) but what I would like to know is how do i build a new class? for example, how do I build a paladin?

Will I just build all features that exist in Paladin and then as the character levels just put a feature ou is there a way to really create a Class and make the features automatically appear as we level up?

Before there was a file Classes.txt where one would define the basics (like bab, spells etc). Does that file still exist and how does that tie up with the new features, spells etc?

thank you

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

There is still a classes.txt ( though at some point here shortly on, the function of that file will be incorporated completely into the application).

Have a look over that, I think it will answer most of your questions.

3. Wheels

Wheels Member

Thank you for the reply. It actually makes more sense now. I assume that in classes.txt we define the names of all feature and then it searches if the feature exists in the feature list and applies it.

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Yup, that's exactly correct

5. Wheels

Wheels Member

I'm creating a barbarian to try this out and started by creating the Rage feature.

• When creating the effect, do I need to choose "On Caster" from the dropdown? If so what does the checkbox "Target Caster" for?
    • Barbarian gain resistance to piercing, bludgeoning and slashing. This means half damage from these sources. How do I translate this to the value? (see image ????)
    • I created the Effect to apply +2 damage to rolls but I don't see it being applied when I roll for damage. Is the value correctly applied?
    • Barbarian gains more rages as he levels up. Is there a way to configure this to automatically update the used when leveling up?

Do I need to create a trait for each feature so it can be synced to a character / Monster? is the process always the same?
    1. create feature
    2. create trait with feature
    3. sync with creature / template

One last thing. Is there any documentation for all this process? like what do some options mean in the flow chart or what formulas exist that we can apply to the value.

thank you for your time :)

Attached Files:

6. Wheels

Wheels Member

Another question arose while trying to add "Path of the Totem Warrior". At level 3 you get to choose a Totem Spirit. There are 3 options to choose from: Bear, Eagle or wolf. How can I put an option for the player to choose which animal he wants?

Should i just add 3 different paths (one for each animal) to the classes.txt file? So would be CreatureClass=Path of the Totem Warrior Bear, CreatureClass=Path of the Totem Warrior Eagle and CreatureClass=Path of the Totem Warrior Wolf

Tottem of the bear gives resistance to all damage except psychic damage. How can i extend the normal rage feature and add more resistances?

#6 Wheels, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  7. Wheels

Wheels Member

Another think I'm noticing is that traits that are in the classes.txt file are not syncing with the traits created with the same name. What I do is edit the character, select traits tab, select a trait and press sync. I would expect to d20pro to sync up with my created trait automatically (with that I mean showing the little lightning symbol at the left and filling and uses column).

is there anything else I need to do?

8. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

That drop box is for when the effect occurs, for those effects that apply something every round. "On Caster" would apply ongoing damage when the Caster's turn comes up in initiative. I wouldn't use any of those for the barbarian rage.

Don't believe you need to put a value in. You either have resistance or not. I haven't played around with resistances from features, so don't quote me on that. :)

Documentation with videos is in the works.

Personally, I would put it in the class file as totem choice with a feature called "Totem choice - or something" Thjat gets auto applied when they level. Then the player tells you which totem animal they want for that level (cos you don't have to pick the same level each time), and you can delete the "totem choice" trait and manually add the correct animal trait.
    Someone else might have a better way.

You could make a separate rage feature for the bear totem and have the player use that instead of the regular feature.

9. Wheels

Wheels Member

well I didnt put anything initially and when I applied damage from a slashing attack, the full damage was applied

10. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Looks like resistances might not be working. Least not when I tested them just now.

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

yeah, resistance is currently borked.. tho I believe it is fixed in the 3.7.1.2 Beta we have.

Tay-Dor likes this.