1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

How to manage story and non-combat info

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RickDavisFL, Aug 24, 2009.

1. RickDavisFL

RickDavisFL New Member

I've just started to use D20Pro so bear with me...

I have the general idea of how the PC's, NPC's, monsters and maps work..which is a large part of the gaming experience since those are the key parts of combat. However, I'm a little unclear how to manage the story and non-combat parts of the game.

I'll be running a full campaign with players around the country. I'd like to keep everything within D20Pro and not use Skype or any other application. I'll always have the material created in advance as I would for a combat situation but I just don't know where to put it. Here are a few examples...

Say I need the players to read a short paragraph that sets the scene before I open the map. Or, maybe the players need to interact with an NPC for which I've already typed up a number of possible responses (say based on their success of a gather info check).

Where would I put this information so that it can be available to players at my discretion? Can I create this type of content within D20 Pro? I noticed a "Boxed Text" area but I'm concerned about limiting the players access to it as well as how much data I can store in there, how well it can be saved, and only exposing the players to the parts that are needed for the immediate situation.

I'd most likely create all the content in Word or Open Office but during game time I'd like to run everything out of D20 Pro.

I'd be happy to hear any thoughts or suggestions on this.

Thanks!

2. SonglineWizard

SonglineWizard New Member

Although we have yet to do our first official adventure, in playtesting I'm basically doing two things. First, I'm using the announce feature in the boxed text to cut-n-paste items and conversations from pdfs and word documents as I need them, and secondly I'm using the handouts feature for graphical items such as maps. It isn't entirely intuitive, but you click on share list and specify which connected user(s) may see the handouts. Then they get a new menu item called handouts that they can peruse at any time so long as they still have access.

3. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi Rick,

Songline Wizard is absolutely correct. You basically have 2 choices for what you would like to do: 1 - "boxed text" area and 2 - the handout area. The handbook feature is found in the "Library" section. You can either add a file or url. We are in the process of re-vamping our online help page that will handle your issues / questions with d20Pro.

If you have any further questions please feel free note them here or contact me directly. We can also set up a tutorial with you. Daniel and I are willing to do tutorials and will do our best to work around your schedule.

The same goes for you Songline Wizard, if you would like a tutorial, please do not hesitate to ask.

nick@mindgene.com