1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

How to use triggers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stonesnake, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

I see them mentioned in the videos, but nowhere in the documentation or after fooling around with the program for hours I can't figure out how to make triggers work. Can someone explain how they work and how they can be used? Thanks.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Not sure what you mean by 'Triggers', if you are referring to the Fog Of War reacting to players movement.. You have to turn it on the the Options->Judge tab.. http://d20pro.com/guide/index.php/Options_Menu#Judge_Tab

3. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

I'm not talking about Fog of War. I'm talking about Triggers.

If you go to Game Tools and look at the last icon (the paperclip) that is the "Triggers" button.

They mention it and show it briefly in this video but I can't figure out how to make them work:

[youtube]g6m_fFDrJmw[/youtube]

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Stonesnake,

At this time, Syrinscape integration is Windows only, with Mac OS and Linux integration coming soon.

If you do have a Windows OS for the GM and the Players, please make sure the GM and all players connected have Syrinscape installed. You can use 1 Syrinscape license for up to 3 computers at once.

To use a Trigger click on the magnifying glass next to the name of the Trigger. Or if you're using Map Markers, simply click the button associated with the sound you wish to play.

5. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

NOBODY is reading my original question.

I don't have a question about Syrinscape. I know how to use that.

All I am asking is how do I use Triggers and how do I set them up. That's it.

I do not see them documented anywhere nor do I see how to use them when I try to utilize them in d20Pro. That is my question, how are they used? Thanks.

6. Ken L

Ken L Member

I think URI triggers are limited to syrinscape at the moment so it's not available for other things yet.

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Stonesnake,

Ken is correct in his statement, and is the quick answer:

Responding to:

Please remember, our responses are based on the words used and what D20PRO supports. Thus our responses are geared towards those specific items that we can pick from the post. I wish we were mind readers and could share the same thought process used to get the context from your few hours or so worth of testing so we could provide a better tailored response. Though all we have to work with is what people post. The best questions are with some background context, what we are attempting to do, what the results were, any screenshots, and any log file (if an error occurred).

The documentation is found in the release notes along with the Announcement for 3.5.7 (link below). Currently D20PRO only supports Triggers from a web address (http://www.blablabla.com/bla/bla/bla.html) and from Syrinscape, thus we went into why a Trigger might not work (if not on a Windows OS and using Mac OS or Linux), and how to make a Syrinscape trigger work. I was pretty clear on how Triggers work with Syrinscape with the video I made - please excuse the first half of the video when I was sick... had a deadline, so I couldn't rerecord the narration :p . I hope the video was clear and easy to follow :)

Anyway, I'll explain in full detail as complete as I can what URI Triggers are in general and how they work. Just know that D20RO supports only web based URL's and Syrinscape URI's, any other URI is not supported here - use the appropriate third party application's support for help with other third party applications URI's.

Let's look at the release notes:
    Announcement for v3.5.7
    The two currently supported URI Triggers are for:
    1) Syrinscape integration.
    2) Pushing web address to (1-Remote Only, 2-Local & Remote, or 3-Local only) (very similar to handouts URL/web address).

If you are wondering what URI is and does is the following:
    A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) allows a web browser to open a specific application and perform an action specified inside the string of the URI. One example is Apple's web search of Apple's App Store. If you have iTunes installed and goto iTunes Preview for Angry Birds Free then click the "View in iTunes" button, that will send a URI so iTunes will open and the Angry Birds Free App page will be displayed.

Similarly, you can experiment with URI's in your web browser:
    (provided your web browser doesn't think it's a search entry - like in Google Chrome).
    Code:
    itunes:
    will open up iTunes.

Code:
    mailto:
    should open your email program of choice.

Code:
    mms:
    should open Windows Media Player.

Code:

Code:
    should open Skype, if installed, then prompt if you wish to call user echo123.

All URI's for Windows based Operating Systems will have an entry in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, then the registered URI command. For example Syrinscape Fantasy Player uses "syrinscape-fantasy" with the "(default)" REG_SZ as "URL:Syrinscape protocol" and a "URL Protocol" REG_SZ with data of " " (blank).

Another example, following our previous iTunes example... an entry in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, then the registered URI command. iTunes uses "iTunes" with the "(default)" REG_SZ as "URL:iTunes Store Protocol protocol" and a "URL Protocol" REG_SZ with data of " " (blank) - there could be another entry also, but these are the most important.

8. DMPirish

DMPirish New Member

As an FYI, this works with Spotify as long as you have the client installed. (doesn't work with the web player)

Example:
    spotify:track:6xC1XiXB3tgffLqzdUZUyr

9. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

Just a note: I've gotten it to play sounds by dropping an MP3 in my Public folder on Dropbox, getting the public link for the file, and then pasting the link into the trigger. It causes the clients to open their default web browser and play the mp3.

I scared the crap out of a few players with a harpy scream ;-)