1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Identifying Clones

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GuyPRunkle, Dec 7, 2009.

1. GuyPRunkle

GuyPRunkle New Member

I used D20 pro in my first game last night. I am using a desktop with a projector onto the game table and I have a laptop that one of the PCs use to manipulate their characters. I don't yet have enough cash to get laptops for each player . . .

Naturally in the first combat scenario I ran I had a bunch of enemies . . . I must be a glutton for punishment. We had no problem moving the characters around, the initiative sequencing was awesome, but I found it very confusing when the players would try to indicate which specific clone enemy they were trying to attack with a ranged attack. I know I could have the player at the laptop run the attack sequence, but it would sure be nice if there were a way to indicate a spot on the map, perhaps with a cursor? (I didn't want to overwhelm my players with new technology and derail my campaign by introducing too many new features at once).

Any suggestions?

Guy

2. Dan

Dan Member

That's an excellent question, GuyPRunkle,

There is actually a built-in feature that will assist you and your players with identifying creatures. Open the Options menu click the checkbox next to Show ID (see screenshot). This displays unique IDs for every creature on the map. Simply have the players toggle IDs on and specify a number.

One thing that this does not address is the ability for players to point to a point on the map for reference, which comes up in game often. Here are some suggestions for that:
    • Since your players are at the table, physically present, it would do you a lot of good to invest in a laser pointer. You can get them from Amazon for as little as $5. Heck, your local convenience store probably sells them for a similar price.
    • You can have players use a 1-square template (Tools Window, Template Icon, choose a 5' square). Each player can use a different color.
    • You could even create a custom "creature" that uses a graphic for its portrait. I'm attaching some arrow graphics to this post that I sometimes use. Give the players ownership of the creature and they can move it around to point at whatever square they want. This is useful if they make marks or point regularly. If pointing in combat, you simply have to select the arrow and choose Go Now (select it and press G key) to let the player move it, since players can't move creatures during combat unless it's the creature's turn. I use these for fighter's marks or marking ranger quarry. You could use a target icon and place it directly on a square, but you sometime get stacking issues if placing creatures on top of each other, so the arrow pointing to an adjacent square sometimes works better.

Attached Files:

3. Dan

Dan Member

Targeting icons

Attached Files:

4. GuyPRunkle

GuyPRunkle New Member

I did give that a quick try, but gave it up because the numbers were so obtrusive - made the graphic images kind of pointless, and I really enjoy them. Is there any way to get the ID numbers to display smaller, perhaps somewhat like the elevation numbers? I tried using the elevation numbers as well, but found it odd that they incremented by 5 . . . I'm so picky . . .

Got the laser pointer, which I use from my desktop, the players actually point with their fingers, some use a token. Unfortunately, the game table is oriented so that I am looking at it upside down, which makes it hard to identify precisely where they are pointing on my own computer screen (bad setup, I know . . . )

Tried the square thing, but they got frustrated with the inability to move the square.

I tried the creature pointer too, but then they couldn't move it out of combat sequence - forgot about the idea of using the Go now key. Would the icon have to be in active mode?

Thanks for working with me on this, what an awesome program!

Guy

PS: Thanks for the neat targeting icons

5. Dan

Dan Member

The Show ID option isn't meant to be left on, just a temporary toggle to establish what monster you are talking about. Try toggling it on and off when needed.

I'm having some difficulty picturing your setup. Are you running with just 1 computer? If so, you might want to try using 2 computers: GM and player, and use the player computer to project with. That way, they can point to the wall .

If they are instead using a monitor, then pointing will be less optimal of course.

If you use the pointer creature, just make it active in initiative and give them ownership. I don't imagine that they will need it every time their turn comes up. Either way, make a pointer for the player that needs it and place it before their turn in initiative. That way they move it, end turn, and take their turn.

I'm trying to understand why your players would need to point to a creature on such a regular basis, especially for ranged attacks. Are they using the software to deliver their attacks? If so, there is no pointing needed. Are you playing 4E or 3.5?

6. GuyPRunkle

GuyPRunkle New Member

Dan,

I have 2 computers, 1 for DM, 1 for players. Running projection as 2nd player client from DM computer. (It does make sense to run from the player computer, but I have the cable hard-wired to the DM station for now . . . )

6 players, only one of them runs the console, the others point at the projection on the game table and he updates their player's location when they move.

They are rolling dice to attack because 1 - they like rolling the dice. 2 - they don't want to swap out places with the guy at the keyboard on their turn. 3 - they always seem to come up with some kind of wierd attack sequence that gives them some additional advantage that the software doesn't track. 4 - some are technophobes.

Those with ranged attacks also just like to attack things all over the board instead of concentrating on a target until it is dead . . . I have no idea why - perhaps it is to get them to bunch up to use AOE attacks. As the DM, I use the attack sequences from the computer and it runs much more quickly.

I could toggle on the ID numbers when we start combat and whenever there is a question though. It would be nice if there were a hotkey for this toggle, since it's difficult to access the pull-down menu while looking at a computer screen upside down . . . I also think I can use the push-pin tool - tried to do that during the game, but the guy running the keyboard had difficulty with it. I will try working with him on it.

Guy

7. Dan

Dan Member

This is what I would recommend:

Run the projector from the player computer and do NOT run a second player session on your machine. Assign one player as the Party Leader to "drive" the Players' computer. That player is then responsible for moving PCs and making attacks for others (if they want). Attach about 3 mice to the Player laptop and have players pair up to share mice. They would basically take turns with the mouse to move their characters (that's all, unless they feel like trying a few things). Otherwise, you could get a USB hub (just a few bucks at most stores or on Newegg) and give each player a mouse. This is good because it gives players some responsibility and gets them to use the software a bit - even if it's just to move their characters. Even better, they might branch out and try occasional attacks or two. :D

Players could then use their mouse or laser pointer to indicate the monster they are attacking and the Party Leader would make their attacks for them or you can hurt appropriate units. If you project to the wall, you won't have to look at a second player client upside down.

8. Undeadlord

Undeadlord New Member

I like the mouse idea Dan, never thought of that.

Right now I have what Dan suggests, two laptops on the table, the projector hooked up to the Player laptop and one player driving for the others. This works well for me especially since I have multiple players who still want to roll their own dice and the own who drives the Player laptop doesn't mind using d20 to try all the attacks and such. It seems to be working well so far.

Brendan