1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Importing From CC3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bloodwolf, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to import my CC3 maps to d20 Legacy. Anyone that can give me the steps that I need to bring in a map from CC3? And is there any size restriction to the size?

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

While I am not familliar with CC3 (I piddled around with it once) I can say that from other map software (Dundjinni, GIMP, etc.) that it will require export to file as a JPEG or PNG to import to D20PRO. To my knowledge, D20PRO does not recognize any other format other than its own maps in that regard. You can export a Map from D20PRO, and someone else can import that map to thier D20PO, but if you sent them the PNG or JPEG, they would have to create the map from that and set the grid accordingly.

3. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I tried a JPEG but it came out as a 1 pixel per foot pic. So by the time I got it ready for d20 it was way to fuzzy to use.

4. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I tried a PNG type but got a blank page.

5. Whirlingdervish

what was the resolution of the image you were exporting?

6. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I'm not sure how to even check that. It simply saved it as a 600 X 600 JPEG. I've not figured out how to change that.

7. Whirlingdervish

When you choose save as next you have to go into the save optionsthat will allow you to set the maximum image dimensions, Jpeg quality which in CC3 is set automatically to 75 percent. set the maximum image dimension to your desired height and width but as a cautionary warning be careful not to make the image to big as the bigger the image is the longer it takes to export and in some cases can crash CC3

8. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Took me a min to find it but I found it. Thanks.

And if I'm thinking right I can take the number of squares and times it by 38 to get my d20 grid accurate.

9. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

I usually save as rectangular png, count the number of squares for the length and width of the map, multiple those numbers by the number of pixels/square to get my export resolution, set those values in the options and finally click the top left corner and lower right corner of the map to export the map.

-Car

10. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Got the JPG working from CC3. Only problem I ran into is the fact that the border of the maps in CC3. So I just used GIMP to crop the border off and then resize for the grid. Worked perfectly and looks great. Thanks for the help guys.

Only thing I need to figure out now is my secret layers.I'm assuming that when I save the image as a JPG I need to have the secret layer active. But how do I make secret doors disappear. Figure I can just use fog of war to keep the secret areas covered until they find it. But the doors are my concern. Or is the best thing to do just leave the doors out and know where the they should be?

11. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

You can use tiles for secret doors in D20PRO and then toggle their visibility. That is how I handle it on my maps. JPG will not preserve layers anyway, PNG does, but all of that is lost once you bring it into A Map Format in the VTT. Anything "secret" is in the individual tiles or creatures (Creatures make great Trap Markers) that you toggle the visibility for.

12. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Thanks. That is kind of what I thought but it is nice to have it confirmed.

13. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

This is kind of off the original topic but is the Fog of War video outdated? When I do a blanket Fog of War it produces a bunch of large tiles of FoW instead of just a single layer. And it covers everything including areas that I have already set up. In the video it shows more of a single layer that can be uncovered by like a brush instead of having to click and delete each grid. Am I doing something wrong?

14. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I am not sure of the video (I assume it is in the FAQ/Guide) but that seems like the old way, maybe even the "Easy" FoW. I use the free handed Knot drawing for Fow. I find it easy and faster than using the predefined shapes they also give. See if you are using the Easy FoW.

15. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I've been using the node method for my rooms that are small enough for the players to see all the way across but I'm using fog outside so I need to be able to control how far they can see when outside. And yes the video is in the FAQ and I think is out of date. I don't want to have to click and fill every square on a 120x120 map so instead what I've been doing is the predefined shapes and them in play I will uncover them and the refill what needs to be covered one at a time.

16. mutant

mutant Member

Sounds like you got it working from CC3, but just in case...

CC3:
    Tools -> Options -> JPEG,BMP settings. I set the JPEG import quality at 98. I do not remember why I did not put at 100, but there was a reason.
    Then...
    Save As -> Rectangle JPEG. Have SNAP "on" it will help coordinate the map on d20pro graph. I usually make sure map is at lest 100'x100'.
    You can hide map border by going to layer "Map Border" and hide (you can also hide by Map Border sheet)

To show your secret rooms, save one version with secret parts shown and one without (as above). Open unsecret version as map and secret version as a tile (whole map) or you can toggle between two maps.

Hope it helps.