1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Importing from Hero Lab

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by djc664, Feb 22, 2011.

1. djc664

djc664 Member

First, I want to thank the d20 Pro team for supportig Hero Lab importing. It has saved me countless hours and headache, and I hope that the future expands on this partnership.

I'd like to request that Hero Lab imports to the Creature Library have the option of adopting the module (folder) location that you are currently in, rather than defaulting all of them to the module Hero Lab. This, combined with the fact that you cannot double-click to edit the module as you can with maps, makes it extremely tedious and much more time consuming than I think it was intended to import multiple characters and sort them for clarity.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

You can edit the creature after you import it and change its module to anything you like.

To put up a window asking for the user to type in a module name would be the same number of steps.

Plus there are enchancements coming to the herolab importer to get more details about the attacks and other goodies.

3. djc664

djc664 Member

With all due respect, a window pop-up was not what the request was for. I am aware that you can edit them afterwards. Doing this for each one I import over 10-40 at a time is what lead me to make this request. :)

Clarification:
    When you have the Character Library open, the drop down selection has a list of all the "Modules" (which essentially are folders within the file structure).

What I would like for the Import feature to do is add the Module name (and consequently save the file to the appropriate "module"/folder of ) to any import made then to match whatever is in that drop-down list selection. If it is blank, then defaulting to "Herolab" as it does now would be great.

I noticed that Creating maps saves the last "Module"/Folder name when you do more than one in a row (which is great!). This is the kind of workflow improvement that I'm talking about, not extra pop-ups and the like.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

Ok, now I understand where you are coming from...

I miss understood the issue.

How about a dropdown on the import screen (the one with which importer you use) that has all the modules from the creature library, defualting to blank (which will add the module name of the importer) or the user at that point can select the module then click import.

How does that sound?

5. djc664

djc664 Member

No worries! I'm sorry I was not as clear on my first post as my second. :)

That sounds great, especially if it maintains the multi-import that currently exists.

Yay!

6. ogexam

ogexam Member

I will add that to the feature request list... cannot say when that will get brought in though. We have a metric ton of stuff on our to do list.