1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Importing HL Pathfinder Bestiary

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigkilla, May 28, 2010.

1. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Hello, i'm in the process of importing the entire Herolabs Pathfinder bestiary over to D20pro and I've noticed a few issues. These are all most likely on the HL side.

When importing Monsters with spells as in caster level spells they don't import, the spell list is empty.

It does not put in the creatures hit dice, it has a ? in the spot.(not a big deal)

There are quite a few mistakes dealing with damage(almost every creature i've imported has skill modifiers or damage that differs from the Actual bestiary)and skills that differ from the actual Pathfinder Bestiarty(I know this is not on the d20pro side, just mentioning it)

Damage Resistance Is not Added in, needs to be manually imputed.

All damage types from all sources are classed as bludgeoning.

Gonna be a long long import process, but hey I truely have nothing better to do.

I will add more things I notice as I get further through.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

Damage Reduction and Elemental resistance is one planned to be added in the near future. We have code in place from some work we did earlier, and HL is working on putting that in their export files.

Spell casting, oh yeah, since type Dragon does not have caster levels that is why it is not importing the spells. I could make a change on our side. So that if the creature is given spells and does not have caster levels to do an override to force the spells. hmmmm let me get back to you on that one.

Oh did I mention yet... WOOT when you get them all imported will you be able to put them on a map or set of maps and put a link to them in the user generated content area?

Can you give me specific examples on the damage and skills not coming over correctly?

That is odd that the damage types are all bludgeoning. I have code in to give a better guess on the type. I'll look into it, i wonder if that part somehow got broke in the last update.

3. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

For the spells it's been for Angels so far, haven't gotten to dragons yet, (but adding in spellcasting levels does indeed add the proper spells, maybe I will add spellcasting levels to the creatures like the dragons and angels and such) I caught the mistakes and went back and corrected all the previous mistakes. And now and having to double check every entry instead of just blindly adding them in.

On the damage and skills, i'm going off directly what the bestiary book has listed, if a skill says stealth +10 thats what I will have the skills in the d20pro creature have on its sheet, same with attacks. Alot if not all of them when imported directly from HL have skills and attacks that do not match the bestiarty, alot of the skills are 3 points higher same with attacks, 3 seems to be a very common number for the mistake, also quite a few of the creatures have extra attack example the Pit fiend has a bite and 2 claws in the bestiary, well in d20pro the 2 claws imports to 4 claw attacks so I have to manually add 2 claw attacks and delete the 4 claw attacks, also most of the bonuses to hit are wrong along with the damage bonuses like 2 claws+32(2d8+13)it would import over as 4 claws +35(2d8+15), so there is alot of stuff i'm actually having to correct. I have nothing but time on my hand as i'm considered disabled by the state for bad back and other health issues soi have plenty of time to sit around fixing this stuff.

Oh, and if a creature has say 4 tentacles +10(the aboleth) it lists them as +10 +5

It never adds the skill Knowledge Planes. Or Craft skills.

Cmb is wrong on every monster I have imported so far.

Creatures with multiple types of attacks 2 claws for example, you have to override the BAB to 0 and manually add each attack and attack bonuses.

Ok, I tried adding caster levels to classes with natural spell casting and it will work to a degree, by adding 1 level of cleric to the Planetar I was able to give it the spell list from the book and it imported find, i just had to readjust the hitpoints saves Bab and stuff, but when i went to add levels to the Solar it was giving it to many cleric levels basically and herolab wouldn't allow it as it rose the cleric level over 20. So for creatures with caster levels and no caster classes that I cannot get to add the levels due to being over the 20th lvl cap I just add a section in the notes with what spells they have. For some reason I cannot get the spells to add using the freeform option under spells, they do not seem to save.

I don't know which side this error is on r if it's intentional on Paizo's part but creatures do not have their full attacks with weapons for their BAB, example the Angel,Solar with its +3 greatsword in the Bestiary has attacks +3 holy greatsword +27/+22/+17 (3d6+15/19–20) but in d20pro it puts the attcks as +3 holy greatsword +27/+22/+17/+12 (3d6+15/19–20) it adds a extra attack in their.

And I will Absolutely share this all with everyone when i'm done,i'm adding token graphics for all of them as well taking pictures from the bestiary when I can get a good picture, and now that I actually know a little bit better what I am looking for and how to input things better its picking up speed.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

I will try to import a solar and see what I am getting in comparison.

The skills issues was a sticky one. I may have errored on the wrong side of the fence.

In Pathfinder if you have ranks in a skill and it is a class skill you get a +3 modifier as well. The assumption went like this, PCs are the most commonly imported creature. Most PCs take ranks in skill that are class skills. Since during import it is currently unknown if it is a class skill or not just add the 3. I guess what I need to do is get with HeroLabs and see if they can put in the export file if it is a class skill or not. then I would know if it gets the +3. So I wonder if in the beastiary the skills they have ranks in are never class skills

5. ogexam

ogexam Member

You mean Planetar right? Planetars have +3 holy weapons, while solars have +5 dancing weapons.

I just had Herolabs open and created a planetar and added a greatsword it has the attacks listed as 23/+18/+15/+13 and listed it is not proficient (-4 to to all attacks). In the beastiary it has the attack rate incorrect they should have a 4th attack since they have a BAB of +17

I did a Solar and a Planetar and compared what the stats were listed in Herolabs compared to what is imported into d20Pro and the attacks look identical. Now they do not match the beastiary because first Herolabs says they are not proficient with teh weapon so -4 to hit. Second looks like the beastiary has errors with the rate of attacks of the Planetar, but ok on the Solar.
    The skills are off due to my other post. Just remove or add a +3 modifier as needed.

6. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

The real problems come in when you have a high BAB creature with natural attacks like dragons and the demons and devils that have bites claws and wing attacks, some times it will only list 1 wing or claw when they should have 2 and sometimes it will list 3 or 4 when they should have 2 and with different hit modifiers when they should be static like 2 claws +32,+32 they come out as they were using multiple attacks from BAB with weapons like +32,+27,+22.

7. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Oh, and is there no spot for alignment on the character sheet?

8. ogexam

ogexam Member

Herolab currently exports the two claw attacks on one line. d20Pro imports on attack per line and has no logic to see if it has a "x2" or "x3" ect in the name to mean multiple attacks, that is in the works for the next importer version.

For the issue of it putting too many attacks, make sure that the rate of attack "+6/+1" is toggled off. The "+6/+1" will do the BAB progression to give multiple attacks. It is possible that the multiple attacks is turned on and you just need to turn it off.

If you come across possible errors in the Beastiary make sure you check the erratas http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/resources

If I am not mistaken the PRD has all the erratas in it. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/
    Another good resource is another SRD for Pathfinder http://www.d20pfsrd.com

9. Dan

Dan Member

We could build a logical check to see if multiple attacks are listed for an entry (+10, +5) and if they count down by 5, then set the +6/+1 to YES, otherwise NO. Also, the entry for multiple attacks on monsters is pretty consistent: "4 claws at +10 melee" or longsword +3 at +21, +16, +11 melee
    Could we build in a test that checks that logic? Perhaps the comma is the "flag" to trigger the single iterative attack?

10. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Where is this rate of attack option at, I have never seen it? NVM found it and no, that doesn't ix it.

11. ogexam

ogexam Member

Ok I have coded up a ton of fixes for Pathfinder importer. They will be in the next release.

Here are some things that are coming:
    Damage Reduction
    Elemental Resistances, immunity & vulnerbility
    CMB corrected
    Make multi of attacks with x2 x4 or x6 in the name (HL still need to turn off the multiattack option on some basic attacks like claw and bite)
    Regeneration and fast healing

12. ogexam

ogexam Member

Skills seem to work fine on my tests.

If you are getting the error message saying it does not know the skill, make sure it is in the skill.txt file

if you are getting teh wrong final number please give me an example. attach the .por file to a message along with the .hl20pro file So I can look into what is going on.

Thanks