1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Installation recommendation; old 3.5srd, legacy campaign folder

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by templar12, Feb 1, 2018.

1. templar12

templar12 Member

Ok, been holding back on updating to the latest and greatest since I am still in 3.6.11. I am primarily a 3.5SRD guy with lots of old legacy rules, txts, etc... clean download and then copy over old legacy folder or how else should I do that? Primarily, I dont want to have to manually redo the entire feats tab info typing my life away into the new traits and etc.
    Excited to use the new traits once i learn that and the new items properties...

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

There are a couple ways to approach this.. You can try, a simple campaign folder copy over. You can also, do an export/import of data from the old to the new. Both have their own pros and cons. I don't have any idea how 'customized' your dataset is so its' hard to say which is the best approach.

The former will try it's best to import and adopt the dataset to the new build, though it will not replace things like classes.txt with the newer better files and formats.

The latter is the safest method to ensure updating, but bringing in your customizations be hand can be a bit tedious.

I'd be happy to discuss this with you in-depth, possibly offer better suggestions based on your situation, if you like on Discord.

3. templar12

templar12 Member

Certainly! Thank you. Will look for you when you are online and "in"...

4. templar12

templar12 Member

Fast Forward - i have decided to do a clean download of 3.7.3. Will start somewhat fresh in order to avoid years of updates compiled since v1.16 ! I am looking for location of links, etc to good already in use 3.5 traits already built for old feats,etc, as well as adding characters (such as Favored Soul, etc); the 3.5 monsters; all spells,etc. Anyone have this already? I could try importing my old ManuallySpecified word pad docs from the old 3.6.11.... but will that lead to bugs?

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

you'd want to use the ManuallySpecified file from the newer campaign template, if you wanted to pull in stuff you have done in the past, that is not present in the new data model, you would need to add that to the newer classes.txt in the newer format. You could copy the needed sections from your old one, and then manually update those sections. Hard to say what would be less work or headaches, either adding them from scratch or trying to update/edit old ones.

6. templar12

templar12 Member

Working on my first ManuallySpecified special 3.5 classes, like favored soul. Read your txt and online info, giving it a go just like old times. But with which ManuallySpecified folder, classes file?
    Do i edit directly in the Res in the campaign or in a more general area? If in the campaign, is the class only going to be available in that place only? For example,
    C:\MesaMundi\D20PRO\res\campaignTemplates\D&D 3.5\res\ManuallySpecified
    or in the campaign folder:
    C:\MesaMundi\D20PRO\judge\campaigns\Old Daggerdale\res\ManuallySpecified

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Never make changes here to the template

The campaign/game folder is where you will make your additions.

8. templar12

templar12 Member

Thanks! ok, I did that. Input with Notepad++; started the game, seen the Imported legact Window pop up, Favored Soul is there. Go to Character, new, hit add class button....and Favored Soul is missing ... I attached the file. Ok, what went wrong? Hmmm.

Attached Files:

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

The real question becomes, is Favored Soul listed in the library here and is it Enabled?

upload_2018-7-31_19-8-25.png

10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Also, this is likely what is throwing it.

The class can not be a variant of itself. VariantOfClass=
    The class has no children. Variants=

upload_2018-7-31_19-17-48.png

Variants=
    VariantOfClass=

11. templar12

templar12 Member

Yes, thank you! I opened that and ensured it was enabled, it is, and is now showin up.... however, there are now what appears to be 8 repeat lists of all classes. Could it be every time I see the Imported legacy window, and all options checked, it keeps duplicating and adding to the Rules Library?

Attached Files:

12. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Yes, that very well could be .. you should be able to sort by Enabled/Disabled and then just delete all the dupes.

13. templar12

templar12 Member