1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

internet cap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by poppies, Jun 30, 2010.

1. poppies

poppies New Member

i am this close to getting my group to try the d20pro, but there's a question. one of my players has to deal with a 1 gig internet cap. i don't totally know what that means but does the game take much ??? to run?

2. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

That's a very good question and I don't have a good answer for you off the top of my head. We'll confer and get back to you soon as we can.

3. ogexam

ogexam Member

When you say your friend has a 1 gig internet cap, are you saying 1 gig per month?

Does his ISP track how much he uses over the day so he knows how much he has left before his monthly account it turned off? If so you could try running d20Pro do some moving around, switching maps, performs some attacks, then log off and check how much bandwidth was reported to be used.

Depending on the size of the map files and portrait files you may use more or less bandwidth.

I have used maps as small as 30k to as large as 5meg jpg files.

4. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Like ogexam says, the main things that will be eating up bandwidth are the maps and images. The heartbeat from the GM client and chat messages are very small, just a few bytes at a time. Ogexam has a good idea that you all get together an run a very quick encounter maybe and take a look at how much bandwidth that takes up, I assume your friend will be able to check his usage whenever he needs.