1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Google Moderator

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by thraxxis, Dec 21, 2011.

1. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met,

Good news for those with ideas on how to improve d20Pro! We have deployed a Google Moderator site that allows anyone to view feature requests and those with Google accounts to post and VOTE on their favorite ideas.

Here is the link, which will soon be published on the main d20Pro page as well as the help site:
    http://goo.gl/mod/c9Pl

2012 is going to be an exciting year for d20Pro with a lot of great features in the pipeline. By leveraging Moderator, we will prioritize development based on the feedback of you, the gamer. :geek:

2. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Sweet! (I hope the suggestions already made in the forums won't be forgotten about.)

3. cyderak

cyderak Member

4. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Aye, once v3.1 is out the door later this month we will sweep through the forums and to capture all the good ideas. We will probably keep the feature section of the forum around on life support, mainly for those who don't have a Google account can still post there and someone will copy over their input to Moderator.

5. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

I like it.

6. Montis

Montis New Member

Also Google Moderator only allows for so much text, while in the forum you can word the suggestions much better, give examples, pictures etc.

7. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

I personally like the concept of the google thingy but not the implementation. I much prefer the forums for discussion and presentation of ideas. It's much easier for me as a user to monitor and respond to a topic here than it is there. Forums are a familiar venue for most gamers so this feels comfortable. Given my choice, I'd ditch the google thingy and turn on polls here.

Depending on what your goals are, a big bonus/problem with the google thingy is only people that really care will bother to go to another site and go through all the votes. And unless they view and vote on everything, the devs won't get a real sense of what the urgent items are. As the number of topics increases, the potential of someone actually reading and voting on the topics decreases. Every step of complexity will result in some people just deciding it's not worth the effort to participate.

Depending on what your goals are, a big bonus/problem with forums is the urgent items or those that are highly debated will keep rising to the top as people continue commenting. So it is a natural form of voting based on whether people agree or disagree. However, it also means the no-brainer things that everyone agrees on and should be implemented ASAP may get buried and ignored for lack of comment because everyone assumes it's a no-brainer.

Regardless of which path is taken, the important thing is the devs get feedback and can gauge interest versus implementability so the program continues being improved.

8. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

The top votes so far (based on total = plus votes - minus votes) for all items that have a total score of 17 or greater. Please vote for the changes that matter to you at http://goo.gl/mod/c9Pl ! No new recommendations posted recently. Only one recommendation has been officially adopted which is updating the documentation.

1) Player should have the ability to edit their own characters with GMs approving the changes. (32 votes)

2) Dynamic Fog of War based on Light sources (24 votes)

3) Improved spell\ability system that will allow users to create and modify spells and their effects, without having to adjust them every time the caster levels. Also for some feats that change based on base attack bonus, such as Power Attack. (23 votes)

4) The ability to resize an imported map image to make it easier to match up the grid on the map with the d20Pro grid. (20 votes)

5) "Ability to have non-square creatures and bigger and non-square items. See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1273" (20 votes)

6) Make controls for things I am constantly doing accessible on the main screen. Show/Hide are used a lot in my game and having the window for hide/show up takes too much real estate for something that could be put in a toolbar. (19 votes)

7) Marketplace support for specific rule-sets (like Pathfinder) also allowing the rule-set to be updated as needed. (19 votes)

8) "Map Layers - FOW, Light, Rooftops. It's a standard thing in image programs and should be in d20Pro. See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1127" (18 votes)

9) Better offerings. Pathfinder campaign stuff maybe? (18 votes)

10) There should be a way to track temporary hit points and protections granted from spells, perhaps an addition to the spell effects system. Spells like Protection from Energy absorb so much damage from a certain type. (17 votes)

11) Show open maps, perhaps as tabs at the top (like Chrome) (17 votes)

12) The ability to set what negitive hp equals death. It currently assumes -10 equals dead, this should be variable as not all systems use those rules. (17 votes)

And for those of you reading all the way through, the recommendation that appears to be most divisive with 11 yes and 13 no votes:
    1) iOS (iPhone, iPad) version of the d20Pro.

And the lowest total votes goes to:
    1) "Direct connection between Hero Lab and d20Pro. Basically having d20Pro scanning every 10 secs for updates to my character file from Hero Lab. See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1218 for more info."

9. Montis

Montis New Member

No 7 is already implemented (at least for Pathfinder).

10. cyderak

cyderak Member

***Said in a high pitched, thrown voice*** ......."And don't forget converting the map library over to a thumbnail format".

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

11. Dan

Dan Member

If you wish, post on the forum and then just submit the permalink to moderator.

12. Dan

Dan Member

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to provide an update on the Moderator status. We've been hard at work with 3.2 and it features a few requests. Unfortunately, the 3.2 list was started before the moderator feedback got real momentum, so not all of the popular requests made it there.

However, after 3.2 releases, we will be drawing a substantial amount of changes from the features currently in the lead in Moderator. Please know that we are reading these responses! A list of 3.2 changes will be posted soon, so keep you eyes peeled.

13. bigbsonnier

bigbsonnier New Member

My eyes are sooooo peeled they're bleeding. Can't wait!

14. Dan

Dan Member

Version 3.2 is still being beta tested and reviewed for errors and bugs, but we have a tentative list of the 3.2 changes. Keep in mind that Quality Assurance may dictate that some of these changes do not make the cut.

The following items are under development and are subject to change.

===Features===
    • Completely Overhauled Fog of War
      • Regions: Areas of a Map are now hidden by FoW elements known as Regions. Each Region is a polygon with any number of sides that may or may not be snapped to the grid. Circular rooms and diagonal hallways are now fully supported.
      • Visibility Mode: easily toggle Regions between active/inactive to control what Players see
      • Manipulate Mode: powerful toolkit to organize and mold Regions to fit your Map
      • Paint Mode: quickly introduce new shapes as "raw clay" to be customized in Manipulate Mode
      • Automatic Reveal: optional prompt for revealing Regions on the map on based on Player moves
    • Sticky Map Tiles: The Map Tile tool now has a "sticky" mode. When enabled, this causes any Creatures and Items on top of a Tile to stay stuck, moving and rotating accordingly to in relative place.
    • Global Creature Control: The Judge may now indicate that a Creature is global, allowing all Players to share control.
    • Random Dice Roller: Dice rolled by d20Pro are now significantly more random by use of Java's SecureRandom.
    • Marketplace Improvements: Various Look and Feel improvements to the Marketplace.
    • Bulk Image Processor: Added Crop and Expert mode to Bulk Image Processor
    • Map Usability:
      • Tiles when placed now maintain their aspect ratio using a configurable pixels per square (DPI) calculation.
      • Creatures now pick before Markers when using the default Map instrument. This addressed a usability issue where a Creature would get stuck under a Marker.
      • Maps may now be enlarged during game-play, building out the grid in any direction.
    • Hosting Games: The Judge's selected port is now displayed when showing the public and private IPs.

===Fixes===
    • Protected Content: Protected Content used to show up locked to the Players incorrectly in some situations. This has been fixed and all existing Content should now behave normally.
    • Saving & Loading Effects: Loading effects no longer corrupts them when saving as different name.
    • Declare Attacks: The buttons that select the attacks no longer chop off large numbers (e.g. +32).
    • Game Log: Copy and paste out of the Game Log no longer drops the natural roll of the d20.
    • Character Sheet: Fixed sorting of modifiers in the Attack and Skill tables.
    • Ability Checks & Effects: Buffs now are accounted for during Ability Check rolls.

15. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Thanks for this! This will be a good release with some great improvements. There are a few features I would never have thought of, but look pretty darn cool. The new FoW will be cool, too. You guys rock!

16. bigbsonnier

bigbsonnier New Member

Wow, this all looks awesome, can't wait to try out the FOW.

Could you clarify the FOW paint mode feature and the sticky map tiles.

Love the global creatures option. i can see my self putting chairs and tables as global "creatures" to allow pc's to move them or have certain NPC's under global control as well.

17. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Fog of War Paint Mode allows you to paint different defined shapes onto the map. Thus, you could use a standard square to place on the map, or a circle, or any of the other defined shapes. After, you can fine-tune that Fog of War element by using the manipulate mode.

To use:
    1) pick a shape to use: square, circle, triangle, "+" shape, "L" shape, "T" shape, "U" shape, "O" shape, a semi-circle, or a hexagon.
    2) pick the scale of the shape (scale 1 = 1x1, scale 2 = 2x2, etc).
    3) click on the map where you want the shape to be (a ghost image of the shape is where the shape will be drawn).
    4) finely tune your shape using the manipulate mode.

Allows you to move a tile that has creatures on it to any location on the map and still keep the creatures on it in the same place, even if you rotate the image (90degree intervals). So, if you have a sea battle, a car chase, or anything that has movable objects which creatures are on and can manipulate the movement of, it makes it much easier to work with.

18. bigbsonnier

bigbsonnier New Member

wow the sticky looks even more awesome than i imagined. carriage chases, sea battles (especially), seige engines. Dudes freakin awesome a feature i hadn't even considered and i'd put it up there with FOW. GOOD JOB!! Glad i supported with my dollars.