1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a general effects tutorial online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by markmad, Jun 11, 2010.

1. markmad

markmad New Member

I just git the program and it is by far the quickest solution to D20 online play I have experienced. How would you create the effect for magic missle. Is it better to just burn the spell and then deal damage with the damage button or is their a way to build the effect in the effects panel. I think what I am really asking is how do you create a damage effect.

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Effects is a method for allowing the DM to track "conditions" thay have been applied. For example, "ongoing fire damage of 5".

For direct damage attacks, creating effect is not typically your best course of action - since there is no mechanism to determine that the attack actually landed (if you play a cersion of D&D where magic missle never misses, this would be appropriate).

3. Dan

Dan Member

Yeah, when you create an effect, there is a Hit Point tab. There you can set hit point modifications (damage or healing) and even set dice for the hit point effect, such as 10d6 Fire or 2d4+2 force. You can even set a save for the effect.

If it's an effect you use a lot (like your favorite fireball) you can even create a Special Ability in the Abilities tab to quickly apply the effect. The Ability tab is also a good place to track Wands since you can set abilities to have Charges.

But Thurgian is right - it's much faster to set a dice macro for your magic missile (5d4+5) and just click that once when you cast it and have the DM apply damage on the fly. Effects are good for mass saving throws (like fireball) or tracking durations and numerical modifiers.