1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Latest news?

Discussion in 'D&D 5th Edition' started by Devil Dog, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

I heard at GenCon that a deal was in the works to incorporate D&D 5th edition rules into D20Pro. What's the latest status on that? Also, I notice in this forum discussion of a D&D 5e game occurring. How are you doing this if it hasn't been incorporated yet? Are you simply using a different rule system and then manually making adjustments as the need arises? If so, how complicated and involved of a process is this?

2. Mickey

Mickey Member

Krilion_GD created some custom files in order to use the 3.5 ruleset as a kind of 5e one in the current release version of D20Pro. I used to know where he posted the files on the old forum but I don't know where they are now. In the current beta version, they've started to implement the 5e ruleset. so, if you're comfortable using the beta (and you back up your campaign files just in case), download that and you'll have 5e. Otherwise, look for the files or Krilion_GD (who will no doubt be watching this thread) will be happy to post you the link to his files, I'm sure.

3. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

It's not that complicated to use current D20Pro to run a 5e game.

Put the Proficiency bonus in the BAB box and your attacks will calculate correctly. Make sure to set melee attacks for STR and Ranged for DEX. In the case of a critical hit, the GM can add the extra damage using the sneak attack dice entry in the confirmation screen.

Add skills for the saving throws. I like to put the proficiency bonus in the skill rank collumn

Spell slots can be tracked in the Abilities section.

The abilities work well for spells and various class abilities. Anything that can be recharged with a short rest, I designate as a charge. Anything that needs a long rest, I designate as per day. When the PCs take a short rest, I can rest just their charged abilities.

Advantage/Disadvantage rolls during attacks can use the crit confirmation check on the hit confirmation screen for the second roll.

It works well without being clunky. Although I am looking forward to seeing what the team does with the ruleset. :)

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

We are kind of bending d20pro to make it work as a means to play until 5e support happens. Yeah, if you follow Tays suggestions above you can use my 'unofficial' totally fan made files.

Attached Files:

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Also, the service update will add some nice new elements to the classes and spells files that Kril has been handing out.

I'm going to push the 3.6.7.7 Beta today so we can get some hands on testing the bug fixes. The main add here is "Traits"

As an example, below is the new "Trait" layout for a classes entry for Barbarian (5e):

Code:
    ## CLASS: BARBARIAN
    CreatureClass=Barbarian
    AttackRate=.25
    HitDie=d12
    Armor=Light Armor|Medium Armor|Shields|
    Weapons=Simple Weapons|Martial Weapons|
    Tools=None|
    SavingThrows=Str|Con|
    Skills=Animal Handling|Athletics|Intimidation|Nature|Perception|Survival|
    Features=Barbarian
    Features1=Rage (2/rest)|Rage Damage (+2)|Unarmored Defense (Con Modifier)|
    Features2=Reckless Attack|Danger Sense|
    Features3=Rage (3/rest)|Primal Path|
    Features4=Ability Score Improvement I|
    Features5=Extra Attack|Fast Movement|
    Features6=Rage (4/rest)|Primal Path Feature I|
    Features7=Feral Instinct|
    Features8=Ability Score Improvement II|
    Features9=Rage Damage (+3)|Brutal Critical (1 die)|
    Features10=Primal Path Feature II|
    Features11=Relentless Rage|
    Features12=Rage (5/rest)|Ability Score Improvement III|
    Features13=Brutal Critical (2 dice)
    Features14=Primal Path Feature III|
    Features15=Persistent Rage|
    Features16=Rage Damage (+4)|Ability Score Improvement IV|
    Features17=Rage (6/rest)|Brutal Critical (3 dice)|
    Features18=Indomitable Might|
    Features19=Ability Score Improvement V|
    Features20=Rage (Unlimited)|Primal Champion|
    The call outs are Built in HitDice, Armor and Weapon Proficiences, Saving Throw Proficiencies, Starting Gear (Tools), Skill selection options, and Class Features.

Now, for the moment this is handled in the app, but not everything in the list above is implemented for D20 systems or even totally live yet.

Of these options, Hit Dice, Attack Rate, and Features are valid for all systems. I'm going to re-write the "GoodSaves" handler so it responds accordingly. I'll try to get that into the build today as it's a long outstanding bug.

The 3.5 version of the above example would look like this:

Code:
    ## CLASS: BARBARIAN
    CreatureClass=Barbarian
    AttackRate=1
    HitDie=d12
    GoodSaves=Fort
    Armor=Light Armor|Medium Armor|Shields|
    Weapons=Simple Weapons|Martial Weapons|
    Tools=None|
    Skills=Climb|Craft|Handle Animal|Intimidate|Jump|Listen|Ride|Survival|Swim
    Features=Barbarian
    Features1=Fast movement|Illiteracy|Rage (1/day)|
    Features2=Uncanny dodge|
    Features3=Trap sense +1|
    Features4=Rage (2/day)|
    Features5=Improved uncanny dodge|
    Features6=Trap sense +2|
    Features7=Damage reduction 1/-|
    Features8=Rage (3/day)|
    Features9=Trap sense (3/day)|
    Features10=Damage reduction 2/-|
    Features11=Greater rage|
    Features12=Rage (4/day)|Trap sense +4|
    Features13=Damage reduction 3/-|
    Features14=Indomitable will|
    Features15=Trap sense +5|
    Features16=Damage reduction 4/-|Rage (5/day)|
    Features17=Tireless rage|
    Features18=Trap sense +6|
    Features19=Damage reduction 5/-|
    Features20=Mighty rage|Rage (6/day)|

6. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Thanks, everyone. This helps a lot!

7. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

FYI, the release that should come out today will not have the new 5e rules attached. It will support the updated Classes files though. The next release will have 5e character sheet support.

In the meantime, I'm leaving the Saves as Skills hack in place for 5e users. You can add Stat saves to a creature's skills list. Then under skills, you'll see a "Saves" category which will contain these values.

Additionally, I've added a GM Option to enable a Death Save tracker as well as Inspiration toggle. These are manual at the moment, but offer you some level of tracking status between sessions.

Without Death Saves and Inspiration enabled:

upload_2016-8-19_12-38-46.png

With Death Saves and Inspiration enabled:

upload_2016-8-19_12-40-43.png

Additionally, if you set up your death condition to be %Max 100 creatures will die of massive damage only after they are at negative 100% of HPs -- i.e. 5e style.

The Beta won't have the updated classes files nor the other updated rules files, but the full release should have these included for 5e OGL.

8. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Re: 5e Class files.

How are you handling the Archetypes? Or would it make sense to have the base class cover two levels and make the Archetypes a new class to cover from 3rd to 20th?

9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

that's my thoughts exactly, this could be a neat mechanic as it would allow for mixing and matching of things in fun and interesting ways. Now that 3.6.7.7 is live and available for using/testing. I'll should be able to get back to 5e work and address exactly this problem.

10. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

11. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

One of my players suggested adding the archetype in at level one, rather than my multi-class list idea. So Fighter (Champion) would be a class option. Most people know what archetype they are gunning for. It wouldn't affect anyone "splashing" a couple levels of a particular class.

12. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I may have a cleaner code solution once I dive back into the Traits code. Basically the concept in traits is that it will allow you to receive variable options like a trait that grants proficiency with a user selected skill. Once this "branching" logic is in place, we should be able to apply it to class selection so at a given level, you get the trait which lets you select your archetype and then future "features" read from that archetype list. in addition to your base class features.

that's what I'm gunning for anyway.

13. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

ooh..neat!

14. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I was about to do a bug report for the BAB calculation. I was entering in the Fighter class using your Barbarian as an example and it was giving me a BAB of 2 for a lvl 8 Fighter when it should be 4. Of course I realized that there's obviously going to need to be something that changes the beginning point of the calculation, since level 1 starts with +2, not +1 like Pathfinder and 3.5.

15. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

The Rules API will release as part of next weeks Major version release (3.7). This will include the FiveERules.java hotjar which will replace BAB with Prof and has the correct math for calculating such things. More details on this stuff will be forth coming :)

We're on track, but not 100% ready to announce/launch the update. But hey, I've got a few days. The up side is that everyones been testing these features since July indirectly, so we're confident that this will go out properly.

16. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I figured as much. :)