1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Length of Encounters

Discussion in 'Pathfinder' started by Frostreave, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Frostreave

Frostreave New Member

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere. I was wondering the average length of combat under d20 (Pathfinder), say with equal number of combatants on both side? I did not see any videos/youtube trailers focusing only on a combat encounter. My group is interested in trying a VTT and I figured combats would be quicker, what with most of the automation and all.

Thank you.

2. Dragonmaster13

My group have had encounters run right around 6-7 rounds. So that would be 6 players at 1 minute each per round with the same number of opponents. Total time of 72 to 84 minutes.

That is only though when they are unprepared and trying to make up their mind on what to do.

When they are prepared (which is most of the time) encounters of the same magnitude usually run about 20 minutes. Sorry if I scared you with the first set of numbers.

3. ogexam

ogexam Member

It cuts the time in half compared to using miniatures and rolling dice yourself.

That is once you get proficient with d20Pro and are not looking for "how do I do X".

When game play gets to higher levels it really speeds things up with the automation of effects and the amount of dice you roll at higher levels.

Think of a rogue that does 1d6 weapon 10d6 sneak 1d6 fire 1d6 electrical 2d6 vicious and has a bard song, haste, bull strength, etc. First you have to figure out your bonus to hit roll the dice and add them up, keeping the elemental damage separate for the DM to compare to resistance then also look at the DR vs the weapon type. In d20Pro you click attack, set sneak damage click on the creature the DM approves and you move on.

HUGE time saver the higher up in level you go.

4. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I might add that all those time savings are only available if you spend the time up front to set up the attacks and effects correctly. I've found that as a GM the amount of time I spend has actually gone up overall.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Daeruin is correct, the time saving automation in battle occurs when the DM spends the prep-time entering in the effects for each ability and making sure all attacks are correct for every combatant prior to the game. This is similar to all Virtual Table Top (VTT) programs that offers combat automation.

One of the advantages of creating content on a VTT, is you will get to know the content extremely well since you are inputting all the data into the VTT, either with some assistance with Hero Lab, or creating each creature from scratch. I've created content for 29 game sessions in my full campaign, and content for 24 one-shot adventures (Pathfinder Society - Official Play Adventures). That said, I can normally run a one-shot adventure that is slotted for 5 hours and run all the content in 4 hours (sometimes less if players know what they want to do).

Though, you don't have to automate everything, if you are comfortable with your players rolling dice at their home and telling you their result you can simply use d20Pro as the interactive map and locations of each person. Then you simply just use the map features - this will play identical to your face to face group in regards to play time per encounter, and does not involve much prep-time (just images for map and creatures).