1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

LFG but also possibly interested in running one

Discussion in 'Pathfinder' started by hawkx27, Feb 6, 2011.

1. hawkx27

hawkx27 New Member

I have been playing 3.5 for a long time, i currently work nights tue through fri from around midnight eastern to between 6am and 1pm. I would be very interested in joining an online pathfinder game...or anything besides 4E actually haha.

I have considered running a game, even gone so far as to build a few maps and plot out some campaign rules. I wanted a few people from my work to play on our nights off but their interest hasn't been very strong. I'd like to test the waters and see if people on here would actually be interested in playing a game either sunday or monday night around 11-12pm eastern for around 3 or four hours or perhaps sunday or monday morning during some negotioable time between 7am and 1pm. I sleep from about 1pm-9pm everyday.

I would also appreciate any feedback regarding a few custom rules and the campaign concept: the concept was that the players would somehow(through backstory) become beholden to an adventuring guild that routinely sends out adventurers to do their thing and makes them pay back a cut of their spoils in exchange for guild benefits. It would probably be like 10% gold goes to the guild and in exchange you get a lvl1 guild NPC who can vendor things for you, order specific items through the guild at your request and use the guild's influence for you when interacting with other NPCs. This also allows me to more easily implement a custom xp system i thought of where absent players get 75% xp and their absence is explained by the guild requiring their presence elsewhere with some more mundane task(i.e. guard duty or w/e) that way players can be absent without me having to control them, they still get some xp without falling behind and people are motivated to show up to game in order to get maximum rewards. This absentee reward system would also reward them a much smaller sum of gold than everyone else got.

In addition i came up with a "wish loot" system that allows everyone to pick any one item they want and make a percentile roll at a source of treasure(designated by me) to attain their item. Their chances of getting the item are based on a formula i came up with that uses the best of CL vs. PC level or gp value vs. 2xaverage gold per encounter under the fast track column on table 12-5 on page 399 of the core rulebook. therefore picking appropriately powerful items gives you a decent chance to get your item, but you have the option of decreasing your chances and going for something more powerful as well. I like this system because the rest of the loot in the game would be entirely generated off random tables from the DM guide and custom tables of my own creation. This gives treasure a much more random feel, without me having to custom tailor loot to people and still having player's be able to get the items they want and need. Pretty much anything that decreases metagaming I'm a fan of.

So obviously this would be rather combat oriented with a bit less free will than most campaigns but such is the nature of d20pro and maptool. That is not to say the guild would tell players how to go about doing things but it would at least half the time be telling the players what manner of tasks to work on. With this in mind I can be open to the idea of evil aligned characters(better bio required and subject to review). the campaign would start at level 1 and i would accept players into the game based on application-possibly 3 strangers from the intarwebs and three slots open for people i work with . I'm debating this though because i don't want to freeze up slots for people who won't play very often and I've been pondering it the past couple of weeks. The game would probably be very long term, maintaining it's schedule for the next three years i am likely to be stuck in this job.

Any feedback you can give me is appreciated, I'm not saying i'm definitely doing this; my job can be very demanding at times. However I am considering it and maybe the only thing I'm missing is a little motivation. Also every three months my schedule flops and i work the other side of the week(sat night-tues night) so the game night would change to thur or fri night probably depending on players. Thanks for your time.

**Edit** should for some reason a player be unable to attend anymore due to scheduling i will gladly save their character info and apply the 75% xp bonus per game and give them the priority slot if another hole opened up to come back into the game. As for story reasons it is easy to say the guild is 'moving people around' also i think new characters would come in at 85% of the highest character's xp with characters never going below 2 levels under the highest lvl player. so wether you are a long absent returning player or a brand new player you will never be too far behind the group to make a big difference in combat.

I would also be going for as much realism in dungeon creation as possible, creating predesigned challenges and never modifying them or dice rolls to affect character survival during the game. Once the game starts i only run the environment, i don't change it to further challenge the players nor to pamper them. If you aren't worried about the possibility of death, at least a little bit, then I'm not doing my job. I don't expect players to die, but I won't waste your time with dungeons that don't hold the possibility either.

2. killersqid

killersqid New Member

I would love to play but i would only be able to do the 7am-1pm time. Will there be an age requirement in your game if you gm.
    ~Patrick

3. hawkx27

hawkx27 New Member

I have no problem with younger players as long as they conduct themselves like an adult. honestly if you are old enough to have an interest in the game and to seek one out online then i don't see how age really comes into play. however there has been very little response to my post-whether that is due to the length of the post, the heading starting with 'LFG' or because people don't care for it-it's hard to say. So at this point things look unlikely, however i encourage anyone who takes the time to read this to post here and if i do decide to start it up I will certainly be sending out messages to anyone who posts here to see if they are interested as well putting up another post here announcing the game's details.

4. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I believe that the only reason you have a low response is your gaming times. Those are pretty late times for most folks (like me) that are m-f work types. I like your game concept, and I really like your "Wish List" concept for the random loot. Don't give up hope, as there may be folks with that kind of schedule that want to play.

Would you be willing to share your loot table?

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello,

The concept is good, you implement a lot of of the same game mechanic characteristics as I put in my games (such as awarding XP to absent players). The true issue becomes the proposed play times conflict with the majority of people. That said, since I'm on the west coast, they work better for me (sun/mon times). :)

6. killersqid

killersqid New Member

yeah they only work for me because i have insomnia so i can understand people having a hard time with the times

7. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I was being serious about your loot tables, would you be interested in sharing that? PM me if you are willing. :cool:

8. hawkx27

hawkx27 New Member

thanks everyone for replying. it's good to get some feedback on the ideas. i understand why the late night game time is bad for people on the east coast, though i thought that sun/sat mornings early would be good for the mon-fri work types. I'll be done with some rather bothersome testing at work come monday and i think then i'm going to get seroius about running this. so here is my proposal; if you are interested in playing go ahead and post your available times for me anytime between 2pm saturday and 11pm tuesday night. I'm either sleeping or working during the rest of the week haha. Keep in mind that when my schedule shifts the times i can run the game will switch to being within 2pm wednesday and 11pm saturday night. I'll adjust my sleep schedule accordingly.

golkiwu- I would be happy to share how my tables work-though they are nothing super impressive and i will have to type them up-which i'm not going to do right now because i was supposed to go to sleep several hours ago haha.

9. PhalconAB

PhalconAB New Member

Hi hawk

love the sound of your loot and xp formulas and notice that you may start a game up soon when ready and motivated

I can make the Morn 7am to 1pm slot as it puts me at roughly 8pm - midnight etc so i would be inerested in playing if you need another player

pm me or email on ashbright@people.net.au

Ash

10. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Soooooo...

any progress on the typing?

:mrgreen:

hewitt26 at comcast dot net

11. DarkMaiden

DarkMaiden New Member

Hi there.

I am interested.

I can play between 12 Midnight to 12 midnight Sundays - Sat. :lol: (Yes I have no real life. ;) Can't play saturday cause I have another game that night. )

I do have a question though. Is this pbp or do you use a chat prog? I do not play pbp.

12. mbran01

mbran01 New Member

If you need another player, I am available pretty much anytime.

Michael

13. Undivided

Undivided New Member

I'm very interested in playing, I'm available on Mondays only though.

14. Rethis

Rethis New Member

I'd be willing to play, and I'm free any time (at least till I start back working over the road... which isn't for sure right now that I will do so at all)
    if you need to contact me nichboutwell at gmail dot com