1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Map Assistance

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Thurgian, May 27, 2010.

1. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I have a couple of feature requests associated either with the creation of maps, or map management.

Occasionally, when placing a custom tile, I end up selecting the entire background. Also, while I don't use the "fill" button, apparently there is some combination of keys or mouse clicks that can cause a "fill" to occur. Having a large amount of work lost, because there is not a way (or at least one I am aware of) to reverse a fill is painful. The current mechanism requires that I close the map, choose overwrite so the map is saved, and reopen the map. This insures that I can't bork the entire project; but is no safeguard vs placing 5 tiles, and having the 6th tile bork the map.

Therefore, a "Save Button" and an "Undo Button" would be awesome. For this purpose, I don't believe the "Undo" needs to have a memory greater than 1. If you totally destroy your map, it is immediately evident ...

Sometimes when placing an object (Manage tiles), I inadvertantly target the underlying layer (usually the main map). If you move a layer, even one square, the behavior of the tile manager is to immediately place the upper left corner of the selected layer - at the location of the mouse cursor. If you were working in the middle of a large map, having your entire project shift such a huge distance is a problem. While correction isn't difficult, it can be time consuming.

Several things could help in this situation: An Undo button, a "Home Function" (wherein the currently selected tile is sent to the upper left corner of the defined map), or just setting the drag point of the current tile to be the current location of the mouse cursor, and not having the "upper left corner automatically moves to mouse" behavior at all.

Did I mention anything about large maps? :mrgreen:

In the wee hours of this morning, I finalized the final encounter of my current campaign; and while the map itself is modest (334H x 167w), the inclusion of more than 6000 creatures meant that it wasn't a simple undertaking (The players end up fighting a small scale war, for which I have developed some simple but effective rules - we aren't actually going to perform individualized combat for 6000 soldiers). As is normaly, when I complete a map, I used the "create a copy" option, so that I can not destroy my hard work when my players actually start killing things. It appeared that the copy was succesful (although it took an exteremely long time to complete). However, when loading the mqap to verify its conditionm after an even longer amount of time I received an error message of something similar to "Failure to Initialze Map" (I will come back and provide the correct error message later). Checking the original of my map, approximately half of my creatures were missing. Ultimately, increasing the amount of ram allocated to java (every last byte that the system could utilize) enabled me to load the intact map copy. I shudderto think of the additional work that would have been required had I placed a few more objects on my map.

Terefore, I would like a tool that calculates the "memory load requirement" for the current project - that warns you when you have reached a particular threshold based upon you current settings. For the record, when fully loaded - my map doesn't come close to consuming the amount of memory it has available; never-the-less, it won't load without my providing even more memory to Java

2. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

:shock: :shock: