1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Map Creation Guidelines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toddpmorgan, Jun 9, 2013.

1. toddpmorgan

toddpmorgan New Member

So I have JPG images that are perfectly square pixel-wise. However, when I go to create the map, the images don't seem to line up very well. The squares are 10 ft squares in the JPG but because I can do decimal places when aligning the squares, so when I try to do 12 pixels/square or 13 pixels per square it is just slightly off. I'm thinking that it needs to go to 12.5 pixels per square to line up perfectly.

2. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

What I usually do when D20pro grid doesn't line up with my map grid I will open the map in Photoshop and resize the image so I have 50px per grid square if possible.

Use this method.
    Open the map in Gimp, Photoshop or whatever software you use.
    Count the number of pixels across 10 squares
    Divide that number by 500 example: 10 squares equals 301 px across 500/301 = 1.6611
    Resize map to 166%

This should give youo roughly 50px per square. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to resize a map in this fashion.

http://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibra ... ale-1a.wmv

-Car

3. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Have you tried this method?

http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGPMaps.php

I have found it to work very well with just about any map that has grids.

Gimp is a great piece of software to have anyway.

Good luck!

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

5. toddpmorgan

toddpmorgan New Member

I ended up using the method where you count the number of squares and create a custom map with those dimensions and fill the map with the image. This works great, however the easy FoW does a 3x3 square and even when I select a single square under game tools, it does the whole three by three grid. Is there a way to make the FoW 1x1 in the map I've already created?

6. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

7. toddpmorgan

toddpmorgan New Member

What I meant was, my Easy FoW currently has yellow around 3x3 sized squares. Can I get the Easy FoW to get yellow around 1x1 squares?

8. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

To be honest, I have never used the Easy FoW option before.

I tried it out just now and I can see no way of changing the size of the Squares. According to (my interpretation of) the users guide, the Easy FoW is the same as the Easy Fill. The Easy Fill states: "Fills the entire map with square Fog of War regions. The scale is determined by the map size (not the scale size used for painting shapes)." So it seems that this will not be something that can be changed. You can use the DRAW Tab under FoW to use the "Knots" to form arbitrary FoW spaces. That seems to be the most free hand way to do it.

I feel that the Easy FoW is just that, Easy. No frills. Gimme some blocked out spaces.

I am sorry that I have no better answer than this. Maybe someone else knows something I do not.

9. toddpmorgan

toddpmorgan New Member

I have made small maps and big ones and Its always the 3x3 sections. However I'm watching people on twitch tv who have easy fog of war and they have it set one 1x1 squares so it has to be possible

10. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Can you provide a link so I can see what they are doing? Also, are you sure they are using the newer 3.3.4 version of D20PRO in the videos. The old FoW was 1x1 squares, and I am curious if this is the case of the Videos you are referring to.

11. toddpmorgan

toddpmorgan New Member

If you google search for the GrumpyGM twitchtv channel it's their online Age of Worms campaign. I can't imagine they are using the oldd20 pro since this just went up yesterday.

12. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I have figured it out.

The map he is using was created in an older version of D20PRO, and when he imported it, D20PRO 3.3.4 Converted it to the 1x1 squares. I have reproduced this by importing an old map I made for Burnt Offerings and achieved the same results. You can test this as well by imperting an old map, many are available in the User Created section of the Forum. He is not using the Easy FoW. I hope this helps. I have inquired as to the Easy FoW Scaling though.

Good Luck!